• Steve

This looks like a great app, and I'm especially impressed with the ability to playback audio after your computer goes to sleep.

But I was very disappointed when I saw the note in the readme that encoding of various files is unsupported, but "can be built from the source code." This is very bad new for me, because I am running Intel OSX, coming from Windows. In Windows I always used Foobar2000 as a lightweight app to play and re-encode audio. In OSX, there are a couple of options for a nice lightweight audio player, but nothing that converts! It looks now that my only real option is Monkey Tools' "Sound Grinder", costing $40. I personally would prefer and Open Source application (such as this one) to re-encode my audio, but it looks as though I'm out of luck.

If you could build a release that would support re-encoding various audio formats to various audio formats, I think your application fill a fairly large hole in the OSX sw landscape. When I searched google for Foobar2000 OSX, I found many people in similar situations to myself. None of them found satisfaction. MoreAmp could be the answer.

My specific needs are (typically) simply to have a decent GUI app that can encode WAVs to m4a. Sometimes I need to cross-code mp3's to m4a's or vice-versa, but really what I needs is something that is flexible. I really don't think that I have the knowledge or experience necessary to "build the ability to encode from the source code". Please help me out, and I'll spread the word.

• moreforge

There is no binary release of MoreAmp with more encoding formats built-in because of patent/licence restrictions.

However, it should be easy for OS X users to build MoreAmp with the mp3, aac, and mp4 (m4a) encoders.

Three steps :

1. Install the OS X development tools.
        This is a package called XCode, available on the OS X install cd's or as a free download from Apple.

2. Download the MoreAmp source release.
        This is currently MoreAmp-0.1.21-src.tar.gz. Download it to your Desktop so that the instructions below make sense.
        Then double-click on it and you should get a new folder (MoreAmp-0.1.21) on your Desktop.

3. Build (MoreAmp with the native 'metal' OS X interface).
        Open a terminal window (with in the Utilities folder) and navigate to that new MoreAmp-0.1.21 folder on your Desktop by typing the command 'cd ~/Desktop/MoreAmp-0.1.21', without the hyphens, into the Terminal window.
        Then type in the command './', without the hyphens.
        You should then get a lot of text about the progress of the build and when it is finished you should find your new in the MoreAmp-0.1.21 folder. If it is not there then look at the text in the terminal window for clues as to what went wrong and maybe post a follow-up here.

There is more info in the INSTALLmacOSX.txt file MoreAmp-0.1.21 folder, section 3.11.

After is built you can move it anywhere, you no longer need the MoreAmp-0.1.21 folder, but you should copy the README file to your home folder's MoreAmp folder (this folder is created the first time MoreAmp runs).
      You no longer need the XCode installation either but you may wish to keep it to build future releases of MoreAmp, or for other projects.

To make m4a files, select 'mp4 file' instead of 'Sound' in the Output droplist in the MoreAmp main window, then check 'm4a extension' in the window that pops up.

Note: This build has been tested on OS X 10.3 (Jaguar) and 10.4 (Tiger) but not yet on OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

• Steve

Well that sounds easy enough!! I'll give it a shot, thanks a lot! Still a bummer that it can't be released as a binary version... :*(