Menu

Starting a thread from a Python plugin?

Hibou57
2014-02-12
2014-02-13
  • Hibou57

Hibou57 - 2014-02-12

Hi people,

I'm running MooEdit 1.1.93 on Ubuntu 12.04, and need to run a thread from a Python plug‑in (a kind of HTTP server). The thread makes no attempt to access the GTK GUI, and just needs to access data from MooEdit and receive data from somewhere.

Creating a threading.Thread and then invoking run, seems not working. I've tried to start it at plug‑in initialization as much as on the application's started event handler, but neither works, and the thread seems not be running. It runs fine from outside of MooEdit.

I believe this is somewhat possible, as MooEdit is able to run external commands for the purpose of user tools.

• Hibou57

Hibou57 - 2014-02-12

I said:

I believe this is somewhat possible, as MooEdit
    is able to run external commands for the purpose
    of user tools.

Finally seems this does not use threads and uses g_spawn_async_with_pipes instead and I can't use this solution.

• Hibou57

Hibou57 - 2014-02-13

I could not run a threading.Thread while gtk.main is running, but I could learn about an alternative way to have a server running inside of MooEdit (just tested standalone so far, not already from inside of MooEdit).

Hopefully, this solution is probably an alternative to near to all cases where one believe to only need a thread, so although this is not about how to create the thread mentioned in the first message, this is as much good.

The solution is to use glib.io_add_watch (which by the way, only works from a GTK main thread). As attachment, the sample Python program I successfully tested (comes with comments), on Ubuntu 12.04 at least (should be OK on Windows too).

One may also have a look at: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/biochem_fan/20130808

Have a nice day :-p

Last edit: Hibou57 2014-02-13