Help
chad
2007-04-06
2013-04-15
  • chad
    chad
    2007-04-06

Florian-

Thank you so much for your work in this topic. You filled a needed hole!

I have a bit of a question regarding the interaction between mce_lircd and lirc proper... What, exactly, is the connection? What of the reliance on the lirc device nodes? I ask because there is an irTrans receiver commonly shipping integrated in several case designes (notably all the children of the OrigenAE X** family).

irTrans has no (known) support in lirc however they offer their own irserver daemon to 'replace' lircd and it works admirably to that effect with one exception: it does not created lirc device nodes. Signals are shot straight from ttyUSBX to the server which in turn forwards them to the proper lirc client applications.

Support for the mce-keyboard is built into to the system insofar as all keystrokes are recognizeable but, like lircd, there is no way to achieve console-input without a special console driver.

I thought to try mce_lircd (which I understand would work to the desire effect) but quickly found that there is currently a reliance on an lirc device node. Do you think you could explain the necessity of that reliance more fully to me and/or whether or not it would be possible to adapt mce_lircd to work with the irTrans receivers?

Again, thanks for your hard work.
    ~chad

• Florian Demski
      Florian Demski
      2007-04-06

Hi Chad,

here is a brief description of the three available things:

mod_mce:
      Directly registers as a USB device handler for the MCE receiver and generates mouse and keyboard input.

lirc_mod_mce:
      The same as mod_mce but also offers a lirc compatible receiver module, i.e. the ir input is also given to lirc.

mce_lircd:
      The same as mod_mce with the difference that the input is not taken from the MCE receiver but from a lirc-style receiver module.

I took a quick look at the irtrans driver which basically emulates a complete lirc. It does not leak the IR information to the outside. As it seems, the ir data is somehow processed directly in the irtrans unit itself, so possibly the whole receiving part for keyboard and mouse handling has to be changed for and integrated into the irtrans driver, what should be possible though.

I own a case that looks strangely identical to an OrigenAE X15e, but is labeled as Amisos and unfortunately has no irtrans receiver. It has a ir receiver and a remote but those are only used for controlling the TFT screen.

Without having that receiver in hand to experiment with, implementing the keyboard/mouse stuff into its driver is somewhat hard.

Sorry that I cannot help you with this.

Florian

• chad
      chad
      2007-04-06

Florian-

Thanks for the reply. I'd offer you ssh to mine but I don't think would do you much good (without the ability to send ir signals).

Just for a littler clarification... Is it the irtrans irserver software that doesn't leak the information or the actual driver? The driver, I believe, is ftd_sio and sends signals through ttyUSB0 (in my case).

I'm going to trust in the knowledge that you know a lot more about this than I. Is the only solution to beg, plead, and send cookies to the lirc dev's to include support for irtrans?

best,
      ~Chad

• Florian Demski
        Florian Demski
        2007-04-06

Hi Chad,

from what I have seen, the irserver software communicates with the irtrans hardware serially over some kind of usb to serial converter. The receiver has lots of functions, e.g.. learning, firmware transfer, lcd control. My receiver (that thing from Microsoft) is much dumber. It only transmits length information for pulses and pauses, but your receiver actually decodes this.

The irserver emulates a complete lirc daemon and offers to the outside world a socket from which the translated codes can be read.

You are right, ssh'ing into your machine would not help much without the possibility of sending key strokes and I guess that my keyboard does not reach your receiver...

I do not know if the lirc team can do much about that receiver, since its software already is a complete lirc daemon.

One thing I can offer you is that if you sent me your receiver, I could try to include the functionality into irserver and then send it back to you, but I neither can guarantee if that will work (though it seems so) nor how long that would take (since I also have other things to do). I do not know if you can live without your receiver for a while.

Cheers,

Florian

• chad
          chad
          2007-04-07

Florian-

I might be able to do you one better.

I've been in talks with the irTrans people for weeks now and they've generally be very receptive. (They even let me offer up an init script and some make targets to be merged with svn). I'm going to see what we can do about getting a receiver to you on deposit from irTrans. If not, I and a couple of the other folks I know who've been sharing the same woes may just take up a collection and buy you one... assuming you're up for the work.

I don't want to shove anything your way but if you're willing to help I know it's worth my contribution (financially and time-wise).

I just emailed marcus with irTrans. Give me a few days to see what his response is. I'll let you know.

Best,
          ~Chad

• Florian Demski
            Florian Demski
            2007-04-07

Hi Chad,

if you really want to ship anything to me, please consider that I live in Germany and depending on your location the shipping costs could be high.

Anyway, I'd give my best then to merge the keyboard/mouse functionality into irserver.

Just let me know.

Cheers,

Florian

• chad
      chad
      2007-04-07

Florian-

Funny you should mention that... irTrans is in Germany too. ;-)

~Chad