I've been up late for a few nights in a row unsuccessfully trying to get my microsoft remote keyboard working with lirc_mod_mce and then mod_mce when lirc_mod_mce didn't work.
The symptoms: After I modprobe the kernel module (lirc_mod_mce or mod_mce) the keyboard and mouse work perfectly for a short time then I get a system lock with the Caps Lock light flashing on my wired keyboard. I have tried loading the module at startup without another keyboard or mouse plugged in and the freeze still happens.
I compiled the mod_mce module with debug=1 set in mod_mce.c, then in a terminal (using ctrl+alt+F1) instead of under x, I loaded the module and inserted the philips receiver. After a period of typing random things in the terminal and wiggling the mouse stick I got a kernel panic. I wrote down the text that I could see and here it is for anyone that knows more about this stuff than I do:
"BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000002
Recursive die() failure, output suppressed
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task"
I tried again in the terminal and got the exact same message, except for the following lines:
I'm really hoping someone can make something from all of this, I've just bought a nice new system to make a media centre and I dread having to give up and go to windows for hardware compatability.
Well, it's three years since you posted, and I've only started trying to maintain this stuff recently, but you might like to give v0.3.1 a go.