Apache 2.0

What Evah
  • What Evah
    What Evah

Is devellopment under way for mod_gzip under Apache 2.0 or is it needed?

• Bob Balsover
      Bob Balsover

I am not so sure that it is needed, this is from the Apache 2.0 configuration file that came with my RH 8.0 dist.

# AddEncoding allows you to have certain browsers (Mosaic/X 2.1+) uncompress
      # information on the fly. Note: Not all browsers support this.
      # Despite the name similarity, the following Add* directives have nothing
      # to do with the FancyIndexing customization directives above.
      AddEncoding x-compress Z
      AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz

So it would appear that gzip is already supported, does anyone know how to verify this?

• Guenter Knauf
      Guenter Knauf

Hi all,
      here's the history:
      long before the first Apache2 release was out, a member of the ASF contributed mod_deflate, a module with similar function as mod_gzip. At the same time also Kevin Kiley contributed his mod_gzip to the ASF. Then a very hot discussion followed which ended in that the ASF decided to include mod_deflate, and Kevin said 'do what you want with the code'. So I picked it up and tried to follow the changes in the Apache2 sources to keep mod_gzip compilable...
      That's the current status; I've no time to further develop and test with mod_gzip; I know there are issues with PHP and Perl, but....
      however I will try to maintain it as my time allows; and hope we can soon move the source to this site here so that both mod_gzip for 1.3 and 2.x have the same home...
      patches are welcome!

• Jeremy Dunck
      Jeremy Dunck