Menu

Explanation

Help
2008-06-11
2023-03-14
  • anthonyrenard

anthonyrenard - 2008-06-11

Good afternoon,

I would like you to explain me how do you calculate R,L,C,G parameters from potential V with Laplace?

Thank you

Anthony

• Tom Li

Tom Li - 2023-03-14

I know this is an old thread and that the project is unmaintained. But as another user of TNT-MMTL, I think it's useful to answer this question.

Basically, MMTL's main field solver BEM calculates L and C by solving the mutual capacitance and mutual inductance of the transmission line using the Boundary Element Method. And speaking of R and G, the BEM solver does not consider the effect of dielectric loss or conductor loss when solving the fields, so G is out. Although it does try to calculate conductor loss via its AC and DC resistance using the simple textbook formulas.

More information can be found by reading the papers cited in the MMTL manual:

1. Pan, G-W, K. S. Olson, and B. K. Gilbert, Improved Algorithmic Methods For the Prediction of Wavefront Propagation Behavior in Multiconductor Transmission Lines for High Frequency Digital Signal Processors. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 8(6)608-621 (June) 1989.

2. Pan, G. W., J. A. Prentice, S. K. Zahn, A. J. Staniszewski, W. L. Walters, and B. K. Gilbert, The Simulation of High-Speed, High-Density Digital Interconnects in Single Chip Packages and Multichip Modules, IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology, 15(4):465-477 (August) 1992.

MMTL also has two experimental full-wave solvers, calcCAP and calcRL based on the Finite Element Method with support of loss and attenuation. Unfortunately, they have never been developed beyond prototypes. For example, stripline is not unsupported. So nobody uses them.