mp3 tags being read wrong

Help
2009-08-16
2013-05-29
  • Robert Foster
    Robert Foster
    2009-08-16

I am using minidlna in my ReadyNAS to stream mp3s to my computer and PS3. It seems that the tag that gets pushed out as the "Artist" identifier is Contributing Artist instead of Album Artist.

This is causing a lot of confusion with my music collection, as some albums have many different artists and that leads to many different listings for one album.

Is this a setting I can alter? I'd rather not have to re-tag all my files.

One example I can offer is my Eminem albums. On many tracks, he lists himself and Dr Dre. so then I end up with a Dr. Dre/Eminem artist and an Eminem artist.
    When all I want to see is Eminem as the Album Artist for the entire album.

• Justin Maggard
      Justin Maggard
      2009-08-28

Let me take a look into this...  These are just MP3 files with ID3v2 tags?

• Robert Foster
        Robert Foster
        2009-08-29

I'm not sure what ID3 version they have. How can I tell? I use either Windows to edit the tags or if I need to edit a lot of tags at once I use MP3Tag.

• Robert Foster
    Robert Foster
    2009-09-18

Has any progress been made on this? I don't mean to rush you, I'd just like to know if you have found a problem or a solution.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2009-09-30

I'm just having a hard time finding files that properly reproduce this.  The files I have with multiple artists seem to list the Lead performer as " / " in the id3 tags, and there isn't much I can do in this case without making some iffy guesses about how to handle this.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2009-10-14

This behavior should be changed now.  Do you have a linux PC to test on, or will you need a ReadyNAS addon?