Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Sony BDP-S490 new firmware issues

Help
2012-07-25
2013-09-17
  • Hello,

after having happily used my new sony player, a model BDP-S490, for a couple of months, last week I have been forced by Sony to make a firmware upgrade (M12.R.MO430) and voila, all MKV and AVI (AVC and DIVX/XVID codecs) stop to be played from my GoFlex Home with MiniDLNA 1.24.
    Looking around in the net, I realized it is a problem related to the control of the MIME type sent by the server, now more strict. In post #5 of this thread http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14862&sid=bc726f1b6bec1781ba1eae81774f129c&start=10 there is an example of a workaround used in another server. Is there any chance to have the workaround applied on MiniDLNA? I tried myself but this is beyond my possibilites..

Thanks,

VIttorio

• Hello,

just a little update: the new firmware for the BDP-Sx90 is not more compatible with DIVX container. To play DIVX a change of the FourCC to xvid/XVID is needed. Therefore, talking about MKV, the workaround used by miniDLNA, which fools the renderer changing the MIME type, is not working anymore.
    This post in AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982 explains it better than me.
    Since the player now accepts the MIME types "x-matroska" and  "avi", I think that a patch to upnphttp.c file to remove the workaround should be enough, but I am not sure.
    Any suggestion about any other modification required?

Thank you,

Vittorio

• crees
    crees
    2013-01-01

Hey Vittorio,

I hope you haven't given up while waiting; I've discovered a nice workaround in upnpsoap.c; simply removing the exception for the SonyBDP case fixes playback for me.  I'll work on something more elegant based on versions when I can, but until then the patch at  should hopefully help you out.

Chris

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/minidlna-fix-sony-bdp-sx90.diff

• Hi Chris,

thanks for the hint.
    I have given up because I am not able to compile MiniDLNA anymore on my Seaagate Goflex Home.
    I managed to compile it until version 1.20, but now I got so many error messages, even afters having updated all the required headers and libraries ( but I am not a Linux expert).
    I hope to find somebody who have compiled with the work around for my device.

Thank you, happy new Year!!

Vittorio

• DACB
    DACB
    2013-01-14

That patch worked for me.  I also commented out a similar section in upnphttp.c, but that probably wasn't necessary.

• Mark the Red
    Mark the Red
    2013-01-20

Just bought a Sony- bdp-s790 blue ray player.   My current "server" is a HDD attached to my Asus RT-n66u router running the miniDLNA / Samba server.   

I cannot stream anything from this dlna server to my bdp-s790 as it keeps saying "format not supported"

I can stream these files to my Samsung pn59d8000 TV, tablet, etc. no problem.   But my Sony bdp-s790 no dice.   If I put these files on my PC running Serviio it streams to the s790 no problem..

Long story short, there is some kind of hoop the miniDLNA is not jumping through for the s790 that it does just fine for all other DLNA clients (i.e., my tablet, phone, etc. etc.)  It seems to be the MIME settings of the DLNA

Are there any miniDLNA clients such as dd-wrt , tomato, etc. etc. that can somehow circumvent this?

Appreciate the help in advance…

• Mark the Red
    Mark the Red
    2013-01-20

^^^^^
    Appreciate the response.  Checked the code on the router minidlna firmware that I  am using here and it appears to be identical to the patch above;

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/minidlna/upnpsoap.c

Must be something else causing this problem.  Good ol' Sony: "Hey lets do something completely different from all the other DLNA clients in the world with our flagship BD player!!!!"

• crees
    crees
    2013-01-21

No.  The only common factor is that it touches the same file.

Older Sony devices required that media be marked as DivX.  Modern Sony devices don't support DivX to save money, hence the breakage.

Try the patch, it works.

• Mark the Red
    Mark the Red
    2013-01-22

Sure does!  Thanks guys.  You are most helpful!

• Kevin
    Kevin
    2013-03-02

Thank you very much utisoft! This patch works very great with my Sony BDV N990W !

• ChrisO
    ChrisO
    2013-03-04

Hello,

I have this exact same issue on my ReadyNAS NV+ V2 when trying to play to a SONY BDPS390 . I have SSH access to the NAS and would like to apply this fix, but am unsure how to. If it boils down to manually editing the file, so be it, but I would very much appreciate some guidance on how to make this change.

Thanks a lot
    Chris

• mohsen57
    mohsen57
    2013-03-24

hello

I recently got a sony n990w,
    and i am streaming media from tplink wdr4300 with openwrt firmware,
    i have this bad problem with this sony bd player, which is cant play mkv files, i have samsung bd player and it is fine and no problem playinh anything via streaming.
    actually first time when i started sony bd player, it show content of streamed hdd as true mkv like this (*video.mkv) it have star on most video files.
    but after just little working, evry file turn to mpeg, and stay as it all the time, and player cant p[lay it and only say the file is corrupt or not supported,
    i know my files are fine, i can stream it via pc to player no problem at all,
    i read here to use that above patch. but i just know a little about this minidlna things, i just can install and edit those cfg files with winscp and putty only , and configure , and nothing else.
    i have download the source minidlna from this site, and i see those upnpsoap.c and others,
    but i dont know how to patch that diff file, how with what program, dont know what to do, please someone help me,
    please somone help me, and teach me step by step how to patch that minidlna-fix-sony-bdp-sx90.diff to minidlna and use it, please ..
    if anyone can patch it already for me and let me download the main minidlna and just install it i would so much appreciated. thanks

• Zaim
    Zaim
    2013-05-03

I have the exact same problem with my BDP-S490, MKV is fine via USB but through my Netgear NV+ V2 the files show up as MPEG and don't play.

Can't the dlna patch be made so I can just apply it on the NAS ?

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2013-05-06

Anybody with an NV+ v2, can you try the addon package here?

• Hi,

I am using FreeNAS with the miniDLNA 1.0.25-1 plugin. I have this problem with the Sony S-490 not being able to play my files (telling me they are corrupt) but I don't know how to apply the given patch. I have searched for the upnpsoap.c file on the miniDLNA dir but haven't found it.

Can someone help me to apply this patch?

Thanks!