Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Panasonic VIERA and avi playback

Help
Nmlss
2011-08-27
2013-05-29
  • Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-08-27

I have a GT25 series Panasonic VIERA and all .avi files are giving me the  warning that comes with an unsupported format. If I select the file anyways, the tv tells me 'cannot play file'. These are standard divx-encoded AVIs with AC3 sound, so I am wondering what can be done to fix this. MKV, mpeg, even ISO files play fine.

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2011-08-28

Not all divx is the same - the word means too many things and some client devices won't handle all the variants. Some refuse to work if the order of the video/audio streams is not what is expected.  mencoder can do some simple conversions (like ac3 -> mp3) so you can experiment to see what works or doesn't.  Not the easiest solution.  I use VLC to look at the codecs/streams but it has different codec names than mencoder or ffmpeg. It's a mess to sort out.

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-08-29

Thanks for the reply. Will minidlna transcode now? Unfortunately the documentation is… sparse.
    The thing is, the problem seems universal: mpeg4 + mp3, divX v3 + MP3, mpeg1+mpeg1… none of them play. This is why I was wondering whether it was more of a minidlna/TV interaction issue.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-08-29

We probably just need a MIME type workaround.  Can you send me some debug logs of you trying to play an AVI file?  Just start minidlna with the -d argument to enable debug mode.

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-08-31

Will do and yes, a MIME type conflict seems to be the most likely issue.
    Logs on the way!

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-09-01

Log is here:

http://odysseos.smiling-web.com/~lfabio/panasonic.log

192.168.0.108 is the TV. As best I can tell, there is nothing past the folder browsing: I had tried to get the good eats episode S01E01, but any of them will yield the same result.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-09-01

I would try changing upnphttp.c, line 359 from "FLAG_MIME_AVI_AVI" to "FLAG_MIME_AVI_DIVX" and recompile.  If that doesn't work, then try commenting out that line altogether.

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-09-14

Sorry for being late in updating: will do and report back.

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-09-14

Well, I tried replacing and removing the line as you suggested and had no luck: if it has an AVI extension, it comes up with a  in the directory listing and the TV says 'cannot play file'. What else may I try?
    The line I modified, BTW, was line 357 in v.1.0.22 .

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-09-17

Well that's unfortunate.  I guess it's not going to be so easy.  Do you know of any other servers that do work with AVI's on your TV, without transcoding?

• Nmlss
    Nmlss
    2011-09-22

Sort of. serviio seems to be able to SERVE the file, that is, the TV will see it as valid. Then, however, when you press play, the file doesn't stream (which is true for every type of file in serviio).
    The part which puzzles me is that there are people with older P50s who seem to be using minidlna with good success AND the TV says it will play AVIs if you put them in a USB pen. I'm tempted to try that and report back.