VLC can't play movie if album art is present

Help
Grant
2012-11-18
2013-05-29
  • Grant
    Grant
    2012-11-18

I am running minidlna 1.0.25 on an ubuntu server on my local network.  I can connect to it from windows or linux machines on my network but many of the movies will not play under VLC or totem.  I finally figured out that this happens when album art is present in the folder.  It's common to organize one's movies using a separate directory for each movie and a file with the album art.   For example, I might have a directory containing the following:

Aladdin/Aladdin.mkv
    Aladdin/folder.jpg

I can't get Aladdin to play under VLC (which only shows the image), XBMC, or Totem.  But if I rename the album art so it is no longer counted as album art and refresh

Aladdin/Aladdin.mkv
    Aladdin/othername.jpg

Then I can play Aladdin.mkv without a problem.   Note that my configuration line for album art is

album_art_names=Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/folder.jpeg/Folder.jpeg/Folder.JPG/folder.JPG/folder.JPEG/Folder.JPG

Interestingly, my WD TV Live streaming box works whether there is album art present or not.

Is this a problem on the side of VLC (windows and linux), XBMC, and Totem, or is this a minidlna issue?

• Leon Botha
    Leon Botha
    2012-11-19

Hi gvfarns

I use VLC on my "windoze" machine without any issues.
    the only difference is that all my album art has the same name as the movie:

Aladdin/Aladdin.mkv
    Aladdin/Aladdin.jpg

Z69

• Grant
    Grant
    2012-12-04

I have added a bug to the VLC bug tracker and they have been able to find some more information on it.  I'm not sure which program needs to be fixed in order to make the two work together, but it seems like the VLC team could really benefit from an explanation of the format from someone on this side.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7776