Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Are WAV files supported?

Help
delange
2011-06-20
2013-05-29
  • delange
    delange
    2011-06-20

Hello,
    I just started playing around with ReadyDLNA. My music library is mostly WAV with only a few AAC files purchased through iTunes. To test the DLNA server I use MLPlayer on my iPod Touch. It does see my ReadyNAS NVX DLNA server and it can connect to it. Trouble is that I don’t see any of my WAV files when I navigate to Album, Artist or Genre. The few AAC files are visible in those folders.
    Does minidlna support WAV files and metadata in WAV files? My WAV files are tagged with INFO chunks.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-21

No, we don't support parsing INFO chunks in WAV files today.  There seems to be no official standard for WAV file tags, so it implementations seem to vary.  I just checked in code that can parse the tags that Audacity appears to write out, but I can't guarantee that it will work with files output by any other programs.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-21

WAV does have an official tagging method. WAV files are built using RIFF chuncks. There is a well know RIFF chunk called LIST witch is a part of the official standard (the same is used for AVI files). The LIST chunk with a header id called INFO has several frames to store song information; a couple of examples are:
    IART Artist
    ICRD Creation Date
    IGNR Genre
    INAM Name (Title)
    IPRD Product (Album)
    The above frames are only a fraction of the available LIST INFO frames.

Some more information about LIST chunks:
    http://www.daubnet.com/en/file-format-riff
    http://www.johnloomis.org/cpe102/asgn/asgn1/riff.html
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/RIFF.html
    http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/audio-visual/documents/listinfo.html

There are several rippers out there who write LIST chuncks into WAV files: example: MediaMonkey, Dbpoweramp. Sonos supports LIST chunks in WAV files.

Apart from the official LIST chucks to store metadata in WAV files it is possible to use virtualy any tagging method as long as the RIFF file specification is respected. There are several rippers and application who use the ID3 tagging format in WAV files. Tag&Rename and AudioGrabber are two examples. The difference here is that these applications use different chunk ID’s but that is very minor. T&R uses ‘id3 ‘ and Audiograbber uses ‘ID32’. Denon DJ has adopted the Audiograbber chunk ID. Logitech Squeezebox supports both chunk ID’s.

I would love to see that minidlna adopts at least the standard (LIST chunks). The implementation is very simple and I can supply you with sample WAV files containing both tagging methods (LIST chunks and ID3).

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-22

Right, I'm totally aware that people tag WAV files.  But different programs do it differently, which can add some confusion.  Anyway, like I mentioned before, I did check in code that can parse RIFF LIST INFO chunks as Audacity writes them out.  If you'd like to try it out, you can either build from source, or if you'd prefer a ReadyNAS addon, I can build you one.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-22

I didn’t know that Audacity is able to write LIST chunks. With what version are you testing that?

If Audacity writes LIST chunks then there is very high chance that this is the solution. LIST chunks are part of the RIFF standard used by the WAV format.
    I would like to test it with a ReadyNAS build (if you don’t mind).

Thank you.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-22

I tested with Audacity 1.3.13 beta.  Anyway, you can grab the ReadyNAS addon for you NVX here.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-23

I installed the add-on provided in the link above and tested it.
    There is no change in behaviour, my WAV files do not appear under artist, album or genre.

I have also tested the beta version of Audacity. The current beta version does not support a lot of LIST INFO sub chunks. Important things such as track number, album and genre are not supported which makes tagging pretty useless.

Audacity writes the ‘LIST’ chunk before the ‘data’ chunk in the WAV file. That means it is sitting in the beginning of the WAV file. I guess this is the reason why my WAV files do not show up. In my WAV files the ‘LIST’ chunk resides after the ‘data’ chunk. The metadata is sitting at the end of the WAV file which makes a lot more sense. If a user wants to modify their tags, the application does not have to rewrite the complete WAV file. This greatly improves performance.

So, for the obvious questions:

1. Can you add support for the following:
    IART (Artist)
    IGNR (Genre) – currently not supported by Audacity
    INAM (Title)
    IPRD (Album) – currently not supported by Audacity
    itrk (Track Number) – currently not supported by Audacity

The above list is the minimum requirement for decent music management. And since the code already knows how to decode other frames (such as IART) this modification is very simple.

2. Can you modify your code to look for the LIST chunk at the bottom of the file if it isn’t present at the top of the file? That would provide a lot better metadata support in WAV files.

Thank you.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-23

All of that should be done already.  Did you try forcing a rescan?  If it still doesn't work for you, can I get a sample file from you to test with?

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-23

Yes I did force a rescan after upgrading ReadyDLNA. Here’s the log file:

minidlna.c:717: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.0.18.2.
    minidlna.c:743: warn: Creating new database…
    minidlna.c:808: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    scanner.c:724: warn: Scanning /c/Music
    scanner.c:503: warn: Unsuccessful getting details for /c/Music/Ann Christy/Hit Collection/Folder.jpg!
    scanner.c:792: warn: Scanning /c/Music finished (10044 files)!
    minidlna.c:115: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
    minidlna.c:846: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.0.19.1.
    minidlna.c:937: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
    minidlna.c:846: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.0.19.1.
    minidlna.c:872: warn: Creating new database…
    minidlna.c:937: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    scanner.c:726: warn: Scanning /c/Music
    scanner.c:797: warn: Scanning /c/Music finished (9076 files)!
    minidlna.c:859: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.0.20.
    minidlna.c:950: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    minidlna.c:859: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.0.20.
    minidlna.c:885: warn: Creating new database…
    minidlna.c:950: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
    scanner.c:719: warn: Scanning /c/Music
    scanner.c:790: warn: Scanning /c/Music finished (9076 files)!

You can download a sample file from here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4rwwjknvay11i

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-23

Looks like I somehow gave you a bad addon.  You should be running version 1.0.20.1 after installation.  Please try this addon instead.  I tested with your file and it looks good.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-23

Yes, that seems to be working fine. Will play some more and report back if I find something off.

Thank you for the great help!

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-23

Ok, great.  Unless I hear of any new problems, I'll get this into the next release.  Thanks!

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-24

I found one other issue which I’m sure will be easy to fix. In the current version ReadyDLNA doesn’t decode the track numbers. I think the reason is that the code is looking for ITRK instead of itrk (lowercase). I have never seen implementation where the uppercase was used but maybe the code can look for both cases?

Thank you.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-27

Hello,

Do you have an update on the track number issue?

Thank you.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-06-28

It should be taken care of.  Please try out this addon to verify.

• delange
    delange
    2011-06-28

I downloaded and installed this new add-on. I’m happy to report that all works fine now.
    Thank you for the great support.

• David Tung
    David Tung
    2012-10-28

I use a minDLNA 1.0.25-2 on arch linux arm platform. I find an issue while miniDLNA tries to stream WAV file. When I use Windows 7 media player to play a WAV file on the miniDLNA server, it will works well. However if I use the play to feature to send the WAV file to another Windows 7 media player, it general won't work. I notice there is a message on on media player says the media format is not supported on miniDLNA.

The same problem happens if I use 8player lite in iPhone to stream WAV to iPhone, it works well. However when I try to stream the WAV to a Windows 7 media player, the file disappear.

This confuses me a little. If miniDLNA supports WAV format, where is the media format not support message comes from. If miniDLNA doesn't support WAV formart, why media player and 8player both receive the streaming well.

This confuses me a little. Is it possible that miniDLNA just falsely report that the file format is not supported? Or DLNA players handle the tag stripping, however they don't know a DLNA renderer can handle the stripping or not while acting as DLNA controllers, so they just can not issue the stream command?  

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2012-11-08

WAV is not an actual DLNA file type.  So it's certainly possible that some control points or renders don't work very well with them.  But MiniDLNA should fully support them.

• David Tung
    David Tung
    2012-11-11

Jmaggard, thanks for your reply.

I tried Intel AV Media Controller for AV Technologies, which was able to stream WAV file to WMP or Linux renderer without problem. So the problem seems to be on the controllers I tried earlier.