Does DLNA (and mini-dlna) support meta data

Anonymous
2011-05-26
2013-05-29

• Anonymous
    2011-05-26

With my tivo and pytivo I am able to display movies by title and not by file name as pytivo provides meta data to my tivos.
    Does DLNA support something like that so that I can see movies by title and not by file name?   If that is the case does minidlna provide a mechanism for that, and if so, how does one make that work?

Thanks.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-05-27

It's up to the DLNA server implementation to decide how to represent titles.  MiniDLNA will give first priority to the file's metadata for asf (wmv) files.  If you compiled against new enough ffmpeg libraries, it will do the same for mp4 files.  Next it will try to get metadata from xbmc-style .nfo files (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Import_-_Export_Library#Video_nfo_Files_containing_XML_data).  If neither of those contains a title, we will use the file name.

• José Trigo
    José Trigo
    2012-08-31

It would be a good idea, so you can develop minidlna acquire metadata from videos. serviio is good but I prefer doing that minidlna functionality.
    You can implement this feature so you can submit videos presents the music as ordered by director, actor, etc..

greetings and congratulations on the great work that the team minidlna.