Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Change root folder??

2011-06-30
2013-05-29
  • Craig Chambers
    Craig Chambers
    2011-06-30

Hi Justin,

I've checked out the latest version and tried the option to change root folder.  I'm a little confused by what this does!
    I was expecting that this would get rid of the two extra layers of folders visible on all my devices - i.e my usual browse for videos…
    Menu > Video > Minidlna > Video > folders >
    becomes…
    Menu > Video > Minidlna >

What it actually seemed to do was set the root as if I had simply not bothered to specify the media types set out in the top of the config file.  i.e.

Menu > Video > Minidlna >

The reason this confuses me is that I would have thought I could already achieve the above if I simply set every media location to not specify media type.

Maybe I have mistaken the purpose of this functionality, but it's difficult to say without an explanation of intended function.

Cheers,
    Craig

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-07-01

It's supposed to just eliminate one step.  So, for example, people who have their media well organized and prefer to *only* browse their folders, they would normally have to select "Browse Folders" first before getting to their folders.  This just eliminates that one step.

I think the thing that's confusing you is the Sony menu system.  Unfortunately they don't make any distinction between video, music, or photos in their browse requests.  So when you go to Menu > Video > Minidlna, we have no idea that you already selected Video.  So we have to send the entire list, and the Sony device filters it.

• Craig Chambers
    Craig Chambers
    2011-07-04

OK thanks Justin.  I do have my media well organised and would love to just view my folders but unfortunately yes, as you know, I am using Sony TVs.

Another Sony discrepancy :-/

it does make me wonder why Sony even bother to offer the option separately on the Music, Photo and Video menus on the XMB.  The bizarre thing is that it does filter locally, but it makes for a poorer user experience!  I have on occasion thought that the DB was blank because I ended up browsing for videos from the music top level.

Cheers,
    Craig

• Anonymous
    2011-09-09

Bump…Anyone else trying root folder option?

• Anonymous
    2011-09-09

Sorry forgot to post my question… after un-commenting #root_container=.
    What is the proper way to use this i have not been able to find and example?

root_container=V,/home/media/Video   ??

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2011-09-14

An example would be:
    root_container=V

Which would take you straight to the "Video" menu.  Other options are documented in the comments in the stock .conf file.

• Anonymous
    2011-09-15

@jmaggard Thanks! and thanks for the info on stock.conf file ill take a look in there too.