Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Is minidlna a DMC or DMS?

Brian
2012-04-24
2013-05-29
  • Brian
    Brian
    2012-04-24

Hi, i started learning DLNA recently, and i found minidlna is a implementation of DLNA.
    But i'm not sure minidlna is a DMC or DMS?
    Thanks.

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2012-04-24

Minidlna is a server (for linux primarily).  Many clients/devices can talk to it, some better than others,

• Brian
    Brian
    2012-04-24

Thanks for ccoupe's reply.
    I wonder is there is any DMC open source project like minidlna?
    I need to realize a DMC application on Android, but i have no idea about how to get start.
    Thanks a lot.

• Craig Chambers
    Craig Chambers
    2012-04-24

So you're trying to shortcut on a college project?? :-/

From the fron page of this site… "MiniDLNA (aka ReadyDLNA) is server software with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients."

Not sure if you are aware, but Android apps are written in Java, whereas miniDLNA is written in C.

"I need to realize a DMC application on Android, but i have no idea about how to get start."

Do you really only want a controller, and not a renderer? 

You could start by searching Google…

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=android+open+source+DLNA

Broaden your search by replacing DLNA with upnp.

/Craig

• Brian
    Brian
    2012-04-25

Thanks craigchambers.
    I only want a controller.
    For "Not sure if you are aware, but Android apps are written in Java, whereas miniDLNA is written in C."
    i think it can use JNI to realize the interoperation of java and C, so it's not a problem.

Is there any DMC open source project?

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2012-04-25

I've used Upnpclient on my Android tablet (search the google store). It passes off the rendering to another app. It doesn't suck too much when you know whats going on.  Clearly, it can be done and has been done in the Android version of java. It's not a server side Minidlna issue. Try the Android forums.