Old version Ubuntu 12.04 / Resampled artwork

Henrik
2012-11-24
2013-05-29
  • Henrik
    Henrik
    2012-11-24

Great job with minidlna. I really like the minimal program that does so much!

I got two pretty basic questions that I haven't understood and hope to clear once and for all with this post.

#1.
    I just started to use Linux and been using Ubuntu Server for my file server. I have in my live-environment I'm using 12.04 LTS and in my test I'm using Ubuntu 12.10. In LTS Ubuntu installs 1.0.21 and will not update to any later versions when using apt-get install minidlna. But in 12.10 Ubuntu uses 1.0.24.
    As I understand it, this has something to do with Ubuntu says that some packages are missing or something like that. Is this up to minidlna dev team to handle or something that Ubuntu need to fix?

#2.
    In 1.0.21 and 1.0.24, all the artwork gets resampled to 160*160 px. I know that there was a patch for this to 1.0.23 version, but nothing I can see in 1.0.24 config file. Will this be implemented in 1.0.26 or is it already in 1.0.25?

• Craig Chambers
    Craig Chambers
    2012-11-26

The miniDLNA dev team (i.e. Justin) is not really concerned with packages for distributions, just with the app itself.

The way that packages work is that distribution maintainers decide whether or not to include certain software in their distribution, and they are responsible for that package in their repositories for different OS versions.
    From the sound of it, the standard Ubuntu repos for 12.04 do not have the other packages necessary to take the version higher than 1.0.21, this is decided by them.

How to fix:
    1) You can expand the distribution repositories with other repositories, if someone else has fixed this.

2) You can build from source (i.e. download it, compile it, install it).  The compilation process will inform you of missing dependencies.

3) You can try to install the pre-compiled binary.

I have been doing the second choice for a number of years, and can still build a working binary, despite my server being Ubuntu 10.10.

HTH,
    Craig

• Henrik
    Henrik
    2012-11-26

Hi Craig and thanks for the reply!

I thought that this would be the answer but I had to ask just to be sure. But thanks!

Regarding the artwork question. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks!

• Craig Chambers
    Craig Chambers
    2012-11-27

Sorry, I don't know about that.