UUID Question

2013-01-22
2013-05-29
  • Mike Veltman
    Mike Veltman
    2013-01-22

I got nicely two minidlna instances running on my raspberry pi. But I noticed that they both have the same UUID and because of that only one of them shows up on the client. Sometimes one sometimes the other. Is there a way to solve this ?

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-01-22

Notice that you can specify the UUID in the /etc/minidla.conf . Of course you would need two different minidlna.confs and start them pointing to the proper conf's but why do your want a PI to be two different DLNA servers.  One server can handle multiple clients.

• Mike Veltman
    Mike Veltman
    2013-01-23

Thanks for the fast response.

The reason to do so because the children of my friend have then their own media device with all their own movies and series and not mixed up with the nightmare on elmstreet and vampire diaries/bones series of their dad :)

And because I want to know if its possible anyway :-)

But how do I do it because I added a UUID="xxxxxxx" to the config but what was a unrecognised option.

Btw its Version 1.0.24

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-01-23

Try changing the serial number in the minidlna.conf. That might work.

• Mike Veltman
    Mike Veltman
    2013-02-01

Nope did not work :-) O well next time better. Now I just stack a other raspberry I guess.

• Mike Veltman
    Mike Veltman
    2013-02-01

And thanks for the help btw.

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-02-01

Doh! The answer is simple. Use the -u option on the commandline. What the value after the -u is something of an exercise of discovery.

ccoupe@twb:~/mediaservers/minidlna$ grep UUID *
    ccoupe@twb:~/mediaservers/minidlna$ ./minidlnad -h

• Jonathan
    Jonathan
    2013-02-02

I have a related (but different) problem… xbmc on Windows 7 is connecting to minidlna server on Arch Linux (Rasperry Pi). xbmc connects to minidlna using a UUID, and wont connect using the IP address of the Pi. My problem is that whenever the pi is rebooted the UUID of minidlna changes! Any suggestions?

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-02-02

@j_mullins, If you have too, the -u option can used be set to what xbmc expects.  Have you tried that? I suspect that deep in the menus of xbmc is a an option to forget old UUID or rescan the local network for dlna servers or clean out it's cache.  I'm not a xbmc user but I'd be surprised if it can't do that

• Jonathan
    Jonathan
    2013-02-02

yeah i can delete and re-add the media source on xbmc, was just hoping to set it up in a way that persists after reboot. i don't seem to have the -u option on archliunx…

[root@alarmpi jono]# minidlna -u 123    
    [2013/02/02 06:14:57] minidlna.c:746: error: Unknown option: -u
    [2013/02/02 06:14:57] minidlna.c:614: error: Unknown option: 123

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-02-02

Not so much archlinux as it is the version of minidlna from Arch.  The -u option is 'newish'.  So it has to be built/installed/maintained outside of arch's version control.  PITA. You should see the happy dance when the power goes out and my TV grabs an IP# before the router is ready to grant them.  Bad, Bad, TV! On the other hand, the TV  can find and deal with server reboots (because the UUID changed) so Good TV!. IMHO I don't want to force a UUID. When minidlna and server are working properly, you don't have to reboot them. Later versions of minidlna are pretty damn iffy about inotify correctness, again MHO. Setting UUID is a hack. Hacks have consequences.

• Jonathan
    Jonathan
    2013-02-02

right… so you think i should be able to connect to minidlna using an IP address? haven't been able to get it to work - maybe i have some network problems to sort out first

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-02-03

The dlna protocol has to be studied a bit and then experienced to debug things.  I use Wireshark on Linux to capture the packets between two IP's, if I have too.  I would recommend setting your server's IP address in your routers DHCP settings, so that every time the PI reboots, it gets the same IP #.  You tell the router this MAC address (can't change, it's hardware) is always same IP#.  Since UUID is computed from IP#, having the same IP after reboot might help you debug things better.

• Cecil Coupe
    Cecil Coupe
    2013-02-03

Follow on: You may also configure the PI  OS  to use a static IP address instead of DHCP/router assigned addresses. I'd do that in the router first, but there is always a plan B.

• Jonathan
    Jonathan
    2013-03-12

Yeah I have a static IP address already assigned - like I said though, XBMC connects to the Pi minidlna server using its UUID

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2013-03-13

The UUID should be based on the MAC address.  Are any of your MAC address changing after rebooting?

• Jonathan
    Jonathan
    2013-03-13

No, the MAC address remains unchanged after rebooting

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2013-03-14

What version of minidlna is this anyway?  What does your UUID end up being?  Does it have any relation to your MAC?  Does it change only when you reboot, or every time you restart minidlna?  Honestly, I can't think of any way that the UUID could change like you describe.