Subtitle support for Xbox?

2012-01-31
2013-05-29
  • Jagermeister
    Jagermeister
    2012-01-31

Hi,

I have a My Book Live streaming DLNA to an Xbox 360. The default dlna server is Twonky, but I am not very happy with it and I was thinking on replacing it.

My biggest concern are subtitles, since I am not a native English speaker and really need them.

So my question is, does MiniDLNA support subtitles for Xbox 360? I could not find anything about this on the documentation.

Thanks!

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2012-02-01

Does Twonky support subtitles on Xbox 360?  AFAIK, the only way you can do it is through transcoding and embedding them into the video stream; but maybe things have changed?

• Jagermeister
    Jagermeister
    2012-02-02

Twonky 6.0.3x supports subtitles, but not for Xbox apparently.

That is why I was thinking on installing MiniDLNA, anyone knows if it supports external subtitles for Xbox 360?

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2012-02-04

I really don't think Xbox 360 supports subtitle playback.  Subtitle support needs to be there on both the server and the client, but AFAIK, only some Samsung, Panasonic, and LG clients support subtitles.  There may be more, but I don't believe the 360 is one of them.

• Anonymous
    2012-02-05

The xbox does have a menu option whilst playing a film to show and hide subtitles.

I've never needed it so have never seen it working.