PS3 not getting Date Picture Taken from JPGs

the-mero
2009-11-04
2013-05-29
  • the-mero
    the-mero
    2009-11-04

I'm using a ReadyNAS Duo, running ReadyDLNA (16pre6), serving content to my PS3. Most things are working nicely. However, for a minority of my photos, the PS3 (when I sort by date) is reporting unknown date or is using the date modified/created instead of date picture taken.

The offending photos are scans of old prints, for which I manually assigned the Date Picture Taken tags. Most of my scans are fine, it's only some that are misbehaving. Windows Media Center gets the Date Picture Taken tag for these scans - only the PS3/ReadyDLNA setup is failing. I don't know if this is the fault of miniDLNA or the PS3 - any ideas?

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2009-11-04

MiniDLNA gets this information from the EXIF data.  It will try two different fields when parsing this information.  Maybe you are inserting them into yet another Date/Time field, and not the standard fields.  Is there somewhere I can download a sample image that shows this issue?

• the-mero
    the-mero
    2009-11-04

Thanks for the super swift response.

In windows, if I click on Properties then Details, I can see the EXIF data, and the Date Picture Taken field is correct even on the misbehaving photos.

I am at work now, so don't have access to the photos. I will check the EXIF data again, looking for any patterns of difference between working and non-working photos. Plus upload a couple of the non-working photos to somewhere that you can access them from. Many thanks.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2009-11-05

Thanks for posting those files.  The problem is that the dates aren't being written to EXIF at all.  They're being written to Adobe XMP, which libexif doesn't support.  I may look into writing up some code to parse XMP, but it could be a while before I can get to it.  If you know of some existing C code to parse XMP, let me know.

• the-mero
    the-mero
    2009-11-05

I had to Google Adope XMP, because I hadn't heard of it. I'm still a little confused because Explorer->Properties->Details reports an EXIF version of 0220 for those two nodate JPGs. I guess Windows must support Adobe XMP, and those file details are misleading in some way.

stedy6 has already pointed you to a free library, seemingly with XMP support. From my point of view, only a small percentage of my photos (maybe 3% or so) have this issue - I would be happy to just convert them from XMP to EXIF, if I knew how. I will Google for answers, but suggestions welcome. (The faulty scans are the ones I did under Windows XP, and used some free tool (can't remember what) to set the Date Taken field - it must have set it in XMP format. Latterly, I've just used Windows Photo Gallery under Vista, and all those scans are working fine with miniDLNA.)

• the-mero
    the-mero
    2009-11-05

Sorry, I rudely forgot to thank you for spending the time investigating. So thanks for that.

• Justin Maggard
    Justin Maggard
    2009-11-05

Unfortunately, exempi is c++ and also links with a couple extra libraries.  A bit too heavy for minidlna.

But I've gone ahead and added some basic XMP parsing code.  Please try with the latest code from CVS.  I'm now able to get dates from the 3 images you posted.

• the-mero
    the-mero
    2009-11-07

Thanks a lot for that Justin.

But I'm not sure if I missing something - I don't have an environment for building a binary for my ReadyNAS Duo. I looked through the CVS archives, and I see that the build instructions are not particularly detailed. :) What Linux kernel/distribution (and hence GNU C libraries) should I be building against?

I would be interested in working on the MiniDLNA code. I would like to add the ability to group photos by Tag and by Month Taken (because I have thousands of photos, dating back to 1910, so the Date Taken category is unmanageable).