Here are some suggestions for handling shortcut preferences in mingw-get-setup and mingw-get-gui.
1) In mingw-get-setup, we are asked to choose how and where to install program shortcuts. My suggestion is to record these choices in profile.xml, in the already existing keys. In the same way, mingw-get-gui could have a settings menu to control this.
Right now, the msys.bat shortcut in msys-core-ext post-install (see [#2008]) would not be created when installing from the gui, because of this.
2) Given 1), let the mingw-get-gui package install its own icons.
Right now, it seems mingw-get-setup is responsible for installing mingw-get-gui icons. Besides the duplication of code from the mingw-get-gui post-install, the installed icons are not exactly the same. For instance, by running "mingw-get --reinstall --desktop upgrade mingw-get-gui", I end up with two desktop shortcuts, differing by name.
3) I was looking for a "MinGW" category in the start-menu, but it seems the be gone now. The shortcut is created right at the top level instead (I was so confused, I thought shortcut menu creation wasn't even working...).
My suggestion is maybe having our own category again, because we can have a number of shortcuts:
- MinGW Installation Manager
- MinGW Shell
- MinGW Enhanced Shell (mintty)
- MSYS Developer Shell
Otherwise, congratulations on your great work on mingw-get.
Thanks for your attention,