Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

How to install Gfortran

2011-05-30
2013-06-06
  • William Knight
    William Knight
    2011-05-30

Hello All:

I just downloaded and unzipped all of mingw-w64-1.0-bin_i686-mingw_2011516 onto my WIndows7 box.  All 837 megs!  I don't know how to install and access the fortran compiler at this point however.  The documentation is quite impenetrable.  Is there a simple line by line set of instructions that a non PhD can follow to complete the installation.  I am so desperate at this point that I'll gladly provide my cell phone number if anyone out there is willing to coach me through this process.

Thanks,
    Bill Knight

• Jonathan Yong
    Jonathan Yong
    2011-05-31

More than 800MB isn't surprising, its not only Fortran there. There is nothing complex about installing, just unpack and add the top "bin" directory to path. For the Fortran frontend, see i686-w64-mingw32-gfortran. For information on how to compile/link etc, please read the GCC manuals <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/>, especially the "GNU Fortran Manual".

No need to post your cellphone number, there is an irc forum at <irc://irc.oftc.net/%23mingw-w64>, just ask your question and leave your client open until someone wakes up to answer your question.

• William Knight
    William Knight
    2011-05-31

Jon-
    Thanks for the quick reply.  I added the path under "User Variables"  to the top level bin folder.  Still doesn't work.  Do the unpacked mingw files need to reside in a particular directory?   Do I need a path in "System Variables" as well ??
    Man am I lost!
    Thanks once again
    Bill Knight

• Jonathan Yong
    Jonathan Yong
    2011-06-01

PATH normally goes into the system variables, see <http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm> for help, or use google. Once you've edit your PATH, log off and logon again to make it take effect.

• rubenvb
    rubenvb
    2011-06-01

At least in windows vista/7, and when editing the user (not system) environment variables, all you need to do is restart the application.