Cygwin

2010-06-07
2013-06-06
  • Robert Rauch
    Robert Rauch
    2010-06-07

Sooo a full Cygwin install is needed for the bins?  I have looked all over to make sure this is true, I only want to install what I need, not a whole OS emulation environment, just for a compiler.  I hate to be naive or rude but, well, I mean I was using MinGW without Cygwin, so whats the deal? 

• Kai Tietz
    Kai Tietz
    2010-06-07

Hello,

we provide toolchains for different hosts. One of them is for cygwin. So if you want to use native gcc in cmd.exe, feel free to use the mingw-w64-w64-i686-pc-mingw32 for 64-bit, or the mingw-w32-i686-pc-mingw32 toolchain. Our automated build toolchain names are built by <target>-<host>-<data>. For more information about our name-schema please see our Wiki for details.

Regards,
    Kai

• Robert Rauch
    Robert Rauch
    2010-06-07

Thank you for your kind reply.  I guess the trouble I am having is matching the actual bin names to the names the wiki says they should be.  For example, if I understand you correctly, this tool: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.6.0.exe, should run freely on windows.  In fact, it begs me to install cygwin1.dll and refuses to proceed.

• Jonathan Yong
    Jonathan Yong
    2010-06-08

Hi,

x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.6.0.exe is the C frontend driver. The driver filename does not say if it is win32 hosted or cygwin hosted. It just means it is a cross compiler targeting x86_64-w64-mingw32 (GCC 4.6.0).

I think you've downloaded the tarball for Cygwin, which is also likely broken if you extracted it with something that does not understand UNIX symlinks.

ktietz was mentioning about the file naming convention at the downloads section. IIRC binaries for plain win32 are in zip format.