Update wizard fails

2004-09-03
2012-10-17
  • Trying to update miktex, the wizard first updates itself. Trying to run it again to update packages, it breaks down immediately. So now further updates are not possible. Latex seems to work fine still. What to do?

Thanks.

• I also have trouble with updates (and package download) I always get an error "No such domain". Searched around a bit and found some confusing messages about out-of-synch-mirrors and someone suggested using the primary archive, but that didn't help either, same error.

• Same problem here. `Updated' Update Wizard on 9/6 from version 2.4.1702. Subsequent attempts to start the Update Wizard fail. MS error report says:
      AppName: update.tmp     AppVer: 2.4.1704.0     ModName: update.tmp
      ModVer: 2.4.1704.0     Offset: 00062e73

Any ideas how to fix this?
      Thanks.

• Jean
      Jean
      2004-09-08

Since the last update (2004/09/06), I cannot launch Miktex Update Wizard (copystart.exe from 08/31/2004. Nothing occurs. So now further updates are not possible..? What to do ?
      Merci !
      Jean Filleau

• I found the following not so elegant solution:

Download the small miktex package and install it in the same directories as the present installation. Then you get a new version of the update wizard which works OK.

• Exactly the same problem......

"`Updated' Update Wizard on 9/6 from version 2.4.1702. Subsequent attempts to start the Update Wizard fail. MS error report says:
      AppName: update.tmp AppVer: 2.4.1704.0 ModName: update.tmp
      ModVer: 2.4.1704.0 Offset: 00062e73"

• I have the same problem, if I use the shortcut on the start menu. The update wizard fails immediately. However, it works fine if I spawn it from the Package Manager or if I copy the command and run it from a command prompt window.

On the mailing list, it was said that requiring the shortcut to use Windows 98 compatibility mode also works.

• Ah, thanks, setting the compatibility mode does indeed work.

• How can I change the compatibility of shortcut?

• Right-click shortcut, choose Properties and then Compatibility.