Maven tasks

Developers
2009-11-01
2013-04-26
  • Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-01

Hi,

there are some Maven stuff that needs to be done. I will try to start a discussion what is needed to be done. When decided we will create issues for the Maven things that is needed to be done.

1. Today a javadoc jar file is created for each project. It should really be done like this:
    http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/examples/aggregate.html
    2. The Microlog for spot does not create a valid jar file, i.e. it does not work out of the box.
    3. The Maven files should be optimized according to how it is described in the Maven book.

That was all I could remember for now. I have a feeling that there are other things that needs to be fixed. Please fill in with things that you feel needs to be done,

Regards
    Johan

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-01

Another thing:

Create a source distribution. This could maybe be solved by using the project package type?

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-01

Regarding the javadoc:

The javadoc generation should only contain the net.sf.microlog packages and classes.

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-02

at a first glance I can say that pluginManagement tag can be used in the parent POM so that plugins descriptions in other POMs will be minimized.
    Another thing regarding sources is that  maven-source plugin can be used to create artifacts with project sources, which can be used in the sources assembly project.

I will play with that later today or maybe tomorrow and will give a direct proposal :)

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-03

Hi,

both suggestions sounds good. This is exactly the kind of cleanup that is needed.

Regards
    Johan

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-03

Hi,
    I have an already working solution for building source distribution archive.
    Do you want to check it out?

Maybe we can discuss it over skype or other IM you are using.

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-03

I have also created an aggregated javadoc report containing only the net.sf.microlog classes

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-03

Hi,

could you please commit the changes. Right now I am busy, but I will probably have time tonight to look at tour changes.

Where is the aggregated javadoc put?

Regards
    Johan

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-03

Hi, I will try to commit them without breaking anything. It builds fine on my machine but still… :)
    The aggregated javadoc is build in "microlog/trunk/target/site/apidocs"

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-03

ok, I think the submit was successful. After a resync everything built just fine.

One question though. Which are exactly the goals that  you use when running a maven build and in what sequence?

I would like to know so that I can simulate the same environment when making changes.

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-04

Hi,

I managed to do some things yesterday:

1. Made a release and deployed the snapshot to the Maven repository,
    2. Updated the site. Information add about our newest member added. Please free to edit your information in the parent pom file.
    3. Some cleanup in the Maven pom files.
    4. Updated the Maven build instructions.

This is the current instructions that I use:
    http://microlog.sourceforge.net/site/mavenBuildInstructions.html

It is updated, but still not complete. Please notice that the deploy task only works for me, since I am the release admin.

Regards
    Johan

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-05

Great,
    I will have some free time during the weekend, I hope, and I will check if there is something more that can be cleaned out in maven POMs.

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-05

Hi,

ok that is good. Inform me when you have made the changes and I will test them and make a new release.

Regards
    Johan

• boby
    boby
    2009-11-09

Hi,
    I had a look at all the projectsand I can't seem to see any major issues with the POMs.
    Only thing I noticed is that there are couple of places where a library is refered with its version although it is available in the dependencyManagement. But this is just a small issue.
    If you have anything else that I have missed please let me know. Also if you neew some more features (as we know maven has lots of plugins) just point me to the effect you want to achieve and I will try to find the right plugin and configuration :)

• Johan Karlsson
    Johan Karlsson
    2009-11-09

Hi,

that is real good! I also noticed that the site generation is much faster, since the javadocs is only built once.

Regards
    Johan

• Hi,
    the release 2.3.5 is out! Thank you.
    But … i wanted to use it with maven but it cannot be downloaded.
    The problem is probably because the parent project has not yet been deployed on maven central for version 2.3.5, i only find 2.3.2.
    Maybe somebody can deploy 2.3.5?