Help
botto
2010-10-07
2013-05-20
  • botto
    botto
    2010-10-07

Hi Eleanor,

I do have the problem that has been discussed (once?) before here in the forum, that something blocks my access to the support files. In the only thread I found you suggested it might be some proxy blocking the access.

Now the problem is: There shouldn't be any proxy between me and the wide world here in the office. And what is even more surprising … actually it's driving me mad … we do have several computers here in the office and labs. Some of them just get the data … some of them (inluding mine) do not.

It's not a firewall, I deactivated that one.

It's not Mac OS 10.6.4 specific (that's on my provate machine), because my Windows XP desktop in the office refuses getting the files too.

It's not some problem n accessing the server in principle. Because when i just paste the complete link (ftp://occams.dfci.harvard.edu/pub/bio/tgi/data/Resourcerer/pipeline/Human/affy_HG-U133_Plus_2.zip) into my browser, it doesn't take a second and the files starts downloading.

So what IS the problem?  I really don't know. I know I can download the files manually and then let MeV use them locally. But somehow I just bit my teeth into the issue and would like to know what is causing the problem. :)

Best regards

Benjamin

• botto
    botto
    2010-11-17

The problem just disappeared some days ago. I don't know why, I didn't change anything. It just started to get access to the data.

Maybe some of the recent Mac Os X updates changed some settings?

• Rocio
    Rocio
    2012-09-11

Hi. i just installed MEV4 in my mac. At the time I try to "load data" appears a window that tells me it is triying to connect to some ftp source. It never ends, and once I get it interrupted it tells me "Unable to download support file.ftp://occams.dfci.harvard.edu/pub/bio/MeV/annotation/bioconductor_2_6/No species available/No arrays available.zip"

Does someone know how to deal with this? Any help will be really welcome!
    Regards

Rocio

• yossarian
    yossarian
    2013-05-03

Hi guys,

I have a possible indirect solution to load an annotation file (this is an example for Affy chip)

1. Download your annotation file from Affymetrix, I download a huge .csv file
    2. Open the .csv vile with Notepad
    3. Save the .csv file as .ann file

Now in MeV load your data, without any annotation data.
    1. Go to Utilities->Append Gene Annotations
    2. Load the .ann file
    3. Match the two options: "Gene Identifier (from current data)" with "Corresponding Gene Identifier from Input File". In my case, I chose "Probesets" for both.
    4. Press OK

Hope this helps!