Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Adding notes to tables

Help
2009-10-28
2013-05-20
  • Roel Quintens
    Roel Quintens
    2009-10-28

Hi,

I am a novice at MeV, and I was wondering if it is possible to add notes (for instance relevant literature about a certain gene) in the table view.
    Also, in the table view of, for instance, a KMC, almost all information is lost  and only the name and ID of the genes are displayed. Is it possible to recover all other useful information (e.g. signal intensities) in these table views?

Thanks a lot,

Roel

• Eleanor Howe
    Eleanor Howe
    2009-10-28

Hi Roel,

The best way to get the signal intensities and other data out of a table view is to choose *Save Cluster* from the context menu that pops up when you right-click on the table. That should save a tab-delimited file containing all annotation and all intensities as well.

I'm afraid there currently isn't a way to add data to the table directly. I have a couple of suggestions, though, that may be useful instead.

1) If you have a lot of data to add, you can use the *Utilities -> Append Gene Annotation* command to load new annotation. There are details about how this function works in the MeV manual. The data you load in this way will show up in the table views and will be written out to a file if you use the *Save Cluster* command.

2) Another option would be to use clusters as labels. Select a gene in the table view and right-click. Choose *Store selected rows as cluster*. In the cluster creation dialog, you can choose a color label and type in relevant information about the gene in the *Cluster Label* or *Remarks* fields. The downside of this method is that the information contained in these cluster annotations will only be saved if you save an analysis - you can't get this data written out in a flat file. Also, it's slow.

Does this help?
    Eleanor