METAR and TAF to RSS feed request

2006-08-19
2013-05-20
  • Ian Valentine
    Ian Valentine
    2006-08-19

I am a pilot and run a fractional ownership scheme for Cirrus Pilots in Europe.

I have been looking for an RSS feed which can be customised to provide up to date METARs and TAFs for a specific list of airports.

My plan is to find some that can filter the correct TAFs and METARS for me and provide this customised RSS feed for me.

Could your software be customised for this? It would seem to be a great application for every flying club and group to have on their web site, I would pay for the feed! (I guess so would others too)

The end result I want is that everytime a member hits our new website (based on Joomla) then they see the latest ACTUAL and FORCAST for the airfields that we are based at!

Any ideas?

Ian

• metaf2xml
      metaf2xml
      2006-08-21

> My plan is to find some that can filter the correct TAFs and METARS for me and provide this customised RSS feed for me.
      > Could your software be customised for this?

metaf2xml is intended to be just a translator from a raw message to plain language. It provides no source for messages so it cannot filter them or provide an RSS feed. So this is probably not what you want.

But it is certainly possible to get the result you want and maybe I can help you with that.

Firstly, we need a server in the 'net to which raw messages are delivered or which can fetch them and which will be the RSS source. This will probably be your web server?

Then we need a source for messages. How reliable should it be? Currently, the CGI script of metaf2xml can fetch messages from a NOAA or ADDS server but they do not provide this as a guaranteed service. For example there were no TAF messages for a lot of airports worldwide since August 3rd till today or yesterday - without notice, warning, or explanation. How bad would it be if this happened again? Do you have a source for messages which is more reliable or is it sufficient to have this RSS feed "just for info" or "nice to have"?

The rest should be just a matter of programming a script which is either triggered by incoming new messages or polls some other server or local file/directory (every x minutes) and updates the RSS data. I don't know yet how RSS works but that is more of a challenge to me than a problem :-)

Then there is the question of what the format of messages in the feed should be. I assume you rather want the raw messages?

HTH,
      Thomas

• Ian Valentine
        Ian Valentine
        2006-08-21

Actually decoding the message is not the issue so much for us. As pilots we can scan a METAR or TAF quicker than we can read a page of text!

I don't know about the sources

I have had a look at rssweather.com and they kind o0f do what i want... but its not perfect!

Don't worry - good luck with your projects.

Ian
        www.cirrus147.com

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments