Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Welcome to Open Discussion

2010-03-08
2013-04-24
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-03-08

Welcome to Open Discussion

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-03-30

Where can I download this program???

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-03-30

Version 1.1 of Metadata Backup can be downloaded at http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html

The new 1.2 version will be released in a couple of weeks. If you are having issues with 1.1, please report them here, and I will send you a private download link to the latest version, so you can try it out.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-03-31

Thanks.  Dale pulled the file for downlonad from his site.  I can wait for version 1.2, if it is going to be out soon.  Will it be posted on this website under all files?

Thanks,
    Dan

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-03-31

Oh, I hadn't noticed that the download link was removed from Dale's page. I have uploaded version 1.1, so you can still download this for now. It's in the Files section, or you can just click "Download Now" on the project summary page.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-03-31

Thank you!

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-05

Is there anyway I can request a feature to be added to 1.2?  I have a separate hard drive that stores all of my music.  You cannot pick the root directory for backup (even though "include all subfolders" is checked.  You hae to manually highlight each artist's folder to include it in the backup.  It would be handy if you could just pick "E;/" and it would back up all of the folders automatically.  Is that possible?

Thanks again,
    Dan

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-06

Do you mean the "directory could not be located" error when a root folder is selected? This will be fixed in 1.2 too, so it will be possible to select root folders there.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-07

Yes, that error!!!!  That is awesome news!

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-18

Metadata Backup 1.2 is now available for download.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-24

Tim,
        I am currently using W7 Ultimate x64 on all of my computers.  I have all of my storage in my office computer and then share the music library to my living room and bedroom computers.  I edited all of the WMP12 data on my office computer and then backed it up.  It said it saved all 7500 files fine.  However, when I go to restore the data on my living room and bedroom computers, it says it completed the restore fine, but none of the edited data (from my office computer that I backup) is restored on either computer.  Will this program not do what I am asking, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Dan

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-24

When metadatabackup starts the restore process, it says "Warning: Access to the path 'E:\System Volume Information' is denied."  Would that be causing the file not to be restored properly?

Thanks again,
    Dan

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-24

What's the location of the music folder on the 3 PCs? If they're different, you need to set the source folder accordingly. In Metadata Backup, click Help - How to use Metadata Backup, and try following the step-by-step instructions in the last section, "Using Metadata Backup to restore your metadata when moving your library to a new drive or PC".

Metadata Backup doesn't require the location of the music folder to be the same on all PCs, but the folder structure underneath the music folder, and the names of the music files themselves, should all match. Make sure that this is the case.

When restoring, do you see anything appear in the Results list? For each file that is found in the library, and whose metadata has been restored, Metadata Backup will add its filename to this list.

When backing up a root folder (E:\ in your case), the "System Volume Information" warning is normal, and usually doesn't mean that any music file was missed. It should definitely not appear when restoring though. Are you sure that you're not mixing up backup/restore here?

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-24

The location was different on all three pc's.  On my office computer it was simply E:\.  On my other two computers, it was \\Office\E.  I have since backed up the data on my office computer under \\office\e now, so they all match.  When I click the restore button, after finding the directory and xml backup file, it asks if I want to restore it.  When I click yes, it takes a few seconds (with nothing appearing to happen) and then lets me choose backup/restore/close again.  All of the music files are on the office computer only, so the files are identical on all three computers.

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-25

So if I understand correctly, you have shared the music folder on your office computer, and you want the other two computers to use that network share?

I'm not sure if backing up with \\Office\E set as source folder will work, because Metadata Backup might not be able to find the songs in the library then. You may want to open the generated XML file in Notepad, and check if it contains any useful metadata. Set the source folder back to E:\ if necessary.

The main problem here, I think, is that the songs on the network share aren't in the music library on the two other computers. Metadata Backup will only restore metadata for songs that are already added to the library. This means that, on the other two computers, you have to set \\Office\E as a monitored folder in WMP  (Organize - Manage libraries - Music), and wait until WMP has finished adding all the songs.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-26

Thanks Tim.  I just added an SSD drive for my OS and metadata worked perfectly on my office computer.  However, I cannot get it to restore all of the data on my HTPC and bedroom computers.  Since I am just accessing the music files through the library (all of the files are in each computer's WMP), is there any way I can use metadatabackup to restore all of the information into each player?  If not, do you know of any other way I might be able to accomplish it besides spending a couple of hours on each computer and manually redoing all of the info?

Thanks again,
    Dan

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-28

First of all, did you check if the generated XML file actually contains all the metadata (you can simply open the XML file in a text editor like Notepad)?

When restoring, do you see anything being added to Metadata Backup's Results list? Did you read the how-to, which I pointed you to in a previous message? Was it any help?

In what folder are the music files located on the office computer, and where are they on the other computers? Which folder do you let Metadata Backup back up from, and which folder do you let it restore to?

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-04-28

Yes, the XML file is correct, as it backed up all of my data on my new SSD drive on my office computer.  It works perfectly with anything on a local drive.  I read the help file and followed those instructions.  All of my music is on my office computer e:\.  When I tried to use metadatabackup with the folder as \\office\e, it didn't put any information into the XML file.  When I switched that to simply e:\, it backed everything up and restored it properly.
         On my other two computers, since there is no music on a local hard drive on either computer, I have to use \\office\e as the data path since that is where the music is.  When I try to restore the XML file, it doesn't show any status or that it has x of x files restored, unlike when I restored the database on my office computer.  It grays out all of the buttons except cancel.  After a few seconds, the backup, restore and cancel buttons become active again. 
        Should I be doing something different?

Thanks!

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-04-29

Are you sure that the songs are in WMP's music library on the other two computers? I have tried adding songs from a network share on my Windows 7 system, but this didn't work.

In WMP's library on the other two computers, right-click a column header, select Choose columns, and enable the File path column. What does the file path of the songs on the share look like?

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-05-05

Tim.
        Yes, the file path says \\office\e\…, which matches the music library.  Is there anyway for you to rewrite metadatabackup to backup and restore shared music directories?

Thanks again,
    Dan

If not, do you have any suggestions because manually editing the data on the other two computers?

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-05-10

After a lot of trial and error, I finally managed to get music files that are shared on another computer in the WMP library. When I then used Metadata Backup to restore the metadata of these music files, everything seemed to work correctly, which you can see in the following screenshot (note that the filenames have been added to the Results list, which means that Metadata Backup was able to find the files in WMP's library).

So there must be something else with your setup that causes Metadata Backup not to work. How exactly did you get the shared music files in the library? Did you use Windows 7's HomeGroup feature? Would it be possible to post a screenshot of WMP, showing the shared music files in the library, and of Metadata Backup, both when backing up and restoring? You can upload the screenshots to http://imageshack.us and post the links here.

If it turns out that Metadata Backup doesn't work for you, you might want to try sharing your library over the network with WMP itself. I think that this will allow you to see all the metadata on the other computers. Because of my lack of experience with this, I won't be able to help you myself, but I'm sure that some useful info can be found on the web.

• marchewd
    marchewd
    2010-05-17

I am using the homegroup to share everything in Windows.  However, when I click on Homegroup, it always says there are not homegroup computers to connect to, even though they are connected to the homegroup!  Anyway, how would I share the files by not using the music library feature?   When I try to restore the data on the other two computers, it doesn't do anything.  It says do you want to restore this database.  After I click yes, there are no results displayed and the back up and restore buttons are grayed out.  Here are some screen shots:

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7226/startofrestore.png

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4715/restoreprocess.png

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/268/medialibrary.png

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/512/wmp12filelocations.png

Any ideas?  I can backup the database without issue on the other computers.  However, when I restore it, it doesn't change of the data to match the main data (my organized office computer's metadata).  It's very strange.  I will even give you access to my computer if you would like to see what I am talking about.

Thanks,
    Dan

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2010-05-18

Thank you for the screenshots, everything looks alright. By the way, on the second WMP screenshot, there's an additional "Dan (office)" library available. Aren't you able to access the library on the other computer through that? For some reason, this item isn't displayed on the first WMP screenshot.

I have added logging of all the filenames that Metadata Backup looks for in the library during restore. You can download the new executable from http://users.skynet.be/tim.debaets/MetadataBackup.zip (simply replace the existing MetadataBackup.exe with the new one). Then, open the MetadataBackup.exe.config file (also in the application folder) in Notepad. To enable logging, change LoggingSwitch from value="0" to value="4".

After doing that, try restoring the metadata once more. Metadata Backup should have created a MetadataBackup.log file in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Preston.Media\MetadataBackup. Please e-mail me this generated log file, you can use the e-mail link at the BM-productions website, http://www.bm-productions.tk (I prefer not to publish my e-mail address because of spam bots).

Could you please send me the WMPMetadata.xml file as well? You can zip it if it's too large.

• Kavi
    Kavi
    2011-10-06

Hi Tim et al.
    I have not downloaded the metadata backup as I'm going for what may be a simpler solution for my needs. I wanted to make sure my WMP library came through with all my actual music, which I've backed up on an external HD, in the event of an eventual computer crash. So…just now I simply went to the Vista path ending at "Current Database 360" which Dale described, and I did a Copy then Paste into my external HD. This hopefully means when my computer breaks down one fine day I'll be able to do another Copy/Paste to add the Music and Library to the new computer and they'll align or conjoin (like that word?). Is this correct or did I do anything wrong? Much thanks.  -Noel

• Tim De Baets
    Tim De Baets
    2011-10-07

Hi Noel,

That *might* work, but it's certainly not the recommended method to back up WMP's library. There are three major issues with your method:

- The database file is only compatible with a specific WMP version, i.e. WMP 11's database file won't work with WMP 12.
    - When restoring an old database file, all of your music files will have to be in the exact same location and have the exact same filename as when the backup was made. Otherwise, WMP won't find the files.
    - The format of the database file is unknown, which makes restoring it an "all or nothing" operation. It's not possible to restore the metadata for just a few songs or a single album.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)