Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Stitching point clouds

Help
2013-02-19
2013-02-19
  • Virgil Dove
    Virgil Dove
    2013-02-19

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a project off and on for a while now. However, I have been unable to do one key thing to complete this project. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to stitch individual point clouds together.

My project consists of a cave that I would like to create a 3D version of (from entrance to end of cave). I have been using Photosynth to generate point clouds of the inside of the cave. I export these point clouds from Photosynth in .x3d format and open them in MeshLab. What I would like to do is open two or more separate point clouds in MeshLab of two overlapping sections of the cave. Then somehow, I would like to stitch them together and continuously do this for the rest of the cave. When that's all said and done, I would like to create a decent mesh to flesh the cave out. I think I can figure that part out but its the stitching part that I am having major hassle with! Is there someone out there that thinks they may have a solution for this?

Thanks,
    Virgil

• Finnaithe
    Finnaithe
    2013-02-19

Hi Virgil!

You need two mesh two do an Align as the tool is called. I'm not shure if the x3d import creates a point clousd or a mesh in Meshlab but you need at least two mesh to do an Align. If you have two pointclouds you have to use poisson filter to make meshes and then use the Align tool. There are a number of tutorials on Youtube to check. here is the one about aligning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9Hap4rX0k&list=UU70CKZQPj_ZAJ0Osrm6TyTg&index=39

Cheers!

Finnaithe