Out-of-Core Poisson reconstruction

Help
2013-02-08
2014-01-14
  • Ross Garland
    Ross Garland
    2013-02-08

I'm not sure if I'll find help here, but I'm beginning to get desperate with this!

I'm basically working on rapid analysis of landslide prone hillslopes using structure from motion using a digital camera. I currently have 2 different point clouds of the desired hillslope, one of which defiantly shows the characteristics of a previous landslide. However, whenever I go to create a mesh over the point clouds, the mesh shows nothing. I'm sure this will be down to my laptop not having enough processing power to recreate a detailed enough mesh through meshlab and consequently crashes. I have however been advised to pursue an out-of-core reconstruction where I'd be likely to have higher success( http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~bolitho/Research/StreamingSurfaceReconstruction/ ).

Whenever I try and open up the executable to process the point cloud, it'll open for around 1 second and immediately close. I assume it'll be because I'm missing a specific program on my laptop, but any help or guidance around this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Ross

• gianluca
    gianluca
    2013-02-08

Hi Ross,
    I would say that, since it is a dos command, you have to open a dos prompt first (menu start, type CMD and enter), then go to the location of the exe file and run it from dos. This will allow you to see the output and/or if you are missing anything
    Let me know if that works.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Ross Garland
    Ross Garland
    2013-02-08

Yeah, your right! I managed to resolve this pretty much immediately after posting this! I do however have a new problem :(. The PLY file that is generated is tiny (5kb) and when its opened on meshlab, there is no point cloud let alone a mesh. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Cheers, Ross

• The Lost
    The Lost
    2014-01-14

I am having the same issue here as well. (the 5Kb file)

I think it may have to do with the scan data itself but i can't confirm that just yet. I converted it to Binary and ASCII and both types had the same issue. The data in question is not raw data. It is already in a .asc format. then for the sake of time i cropped out a section of the Point Cloud to save on time. I think this might be my issue. So my questions are.

Is there a newer approach to this that i may not know?

I am attempting this method:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvTt5VjmWNQ&list=PL6E8B771F6BDC3F16&feature=c4-overview-vl

And

Should I be Starting with the raw scan data?

Thank You all so much,
    Lost

Last edit: The Lost 2014-01-14