From: Brian Paul <brianp@va...> - 2001-06-21 18:50:32
Mesa 3.5 is now available for download at
This is a development release (vs. a stable release) as indicated by the
odd minor version number. This basically means that Mesa 3.5 has a lot
of new features and changes and possibly a few new bugs. Though, 3.5
testing has been very positive so far.
Mesa 3.5 has undergone a major source code reorganization. It's now
more modularized and has a much cleaner interface for hardware
acceleration (for the DRI 3D drivers). Keith Whitwell can be credited
Mesa 3.5 also has a lot of new extensions:
- GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp (aka GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp)
- GL_SGIX_shadow and GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient
Other features include:
- support for eight texture units
- SGI's GLU 1.3 library
- new, conformant AA line algorithm
- SPARC assembly language optimization, by David Miller
- assorted performance improvements
- 16-bit/channel (64-bit pixels) rendering option in OSMesa
- assorted bug fixes
- new demo programs
One problem with Mesa 3.5 is the fact that a number of the device drivers
haven't been updated. This includes the DOS and Windows drivers. We're
hoping someone will volunteer to do that work.
See the docs/RELNOTES-3.5 and docs/VERSIONS files for more details.
Please report any problem you find to the Mesa bug database.