Mediatomb disappearing and disconnecting

Help
Anonymous
2010-12-19
2013-05-30

• Anonymous
    2010-12-19

Dear Mediatomb crew,

I've been enjoying this wonderful product for a short while now, in combination with a DLNA certified Philips tv. After weeks of finding the right transcoding settings and scripting in bash I finally can transcode pretty much anything to my tv (with fancy subtitle autodetection). Yesterday I put it to the test to view a full length movie.

However, after about 5 minutes, the movie suddenly stopped, and the tv went back to the mediaserver overview screen. Surprisingly the entry of the Mediatomb server had disappeared and didn't come back. The disappearing of the entry happened in the past aswell, which is weird because the service was still running and didn't show any errors, and the Windows Mediaplayer entries were still there. After a restart of the tv the Mediatomb server appeared again (as it always does after a restart).

Does anyone know why this happens, or how I can trace the source of this issue?

The mediatomb version I'm running is 0.11.0-3 (Debian package) on a Debian 5 server.

Thanks in advance!

• Anonymous
    2010-12-22

Your problem may be related to the one I had. Namely the interface on the server must have the allmulti flag turned on.

ifconfig eth0 allmulti

Without this it works sometimes and not others.

• Anonymous
    2010-12-27

Thanks for the info, however it did not fix the problem. I did some additional testing and this is what I can conclude:

This only happens on my Philips 37pfl8605 tv. Windows Media Player on my computer does not have any problem playing the same video file from the same server.
    Also, the tv is able to play the same video file from a different (Windows Media Player) server.

This makes me think there is a problem with mediatomb in combination with the tv. However, I really have no clue what it may be. If anyone has any ideas on how to investigate this more thoroughly please let me know.

• Anonymous
    2011-01-02

Network investigation showed that the tv kills the connection at the moment of failure. See http://i.imgur.com/JCS1e.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/gfBI0.jpg

Can anyone tell me wether this might be caused by mediatomb or if this really is caused by the tv?
    This issue is also open on the supportforum of the tv manufacturer. Hopefully they have an insight aswell.

• Anonymous
    2011-01-15

Apparently it's something to do with the router. Bypassing it results in flawless playback. What's causing it? No clue