Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Howto load mediatomb 2 times on same server

Help
Svenn-Erik
2012-01-22
2013-05-30
  • Svenn-Erik
    Svenn-Erik
    2012-01-22

How do i run the demond 2 or more times one time for each nic card, and use the same music files.

• Sebastian
    Sebastian
    2012-07-07

Hi,

I think I face the same question. I'd like to deliver content to both a PS3 and a Sammy TV which seems not to be possible with the same config.xml so I am guessing I'd have to start two instances of MediaTomb seperately. The machine has enough NICs to handle two deamons (although shouldn't two different ports actually be enough?)

I installed mediatomb via the debian package, tried to copy the init script but the copied script won't start another mediatomb instance although I specified a different port, interface and config.xml - any guess what I missed? Did anybody do something similar already and can share his/her experience?

Thanks in advance.

• Jack
    Jack
    2012-07-07

I to am having a similar issue. I have 2 subnets 192.168.1.* and 192.168.5.* one is a wireless and the other is the physical LAN. UPnP works great on the physical LAN. However I cannot see the multicast stream at all on the 5.* subnet. I have two nics so i set my server with a nic on each subnet. However I do not know, and have been unable to documentation on, how to either bnd to both NIC's or run multiple instances. Any references would be greatly apprecaited.

• Anonymous
    2012-07-08

Actually, you guys sound like you know more than I do about this already, but I've been unintentionally running two instances of mediatomb on the same NIC.  One of them starts automatically via the service because I had turned on auto-start.  However, the version which starts automatically doesn't pick up the music on my mounted drives (I think because the drives are mounted afterward) so I just run it as myself at the command line.  When I go to my PS3/computer/amplifier/wherever, I see two different instances of mediatomb running, one with data in it and one without.

The point I'm trying to make is that you might want to try running it as a service and then again as a user to see if you can get multiple configs going.  I'm not sure how to name them differently so you'll know which is which though.

• Sebastian
    Sebastian
    2012-07-09

about the naming: when you start mediatomb from the console it uses a different default config file location (should be ~/config.xml ,i.e. the directory that contains the mediatomb executable), while the service should use /etc/mediatomb/config.xml. If you would change the name in one of the config files you could check which instance works for you.

@rccypher: as far as I understand the mediatomb documentation it will bind to the first interface it finds (please correct me, if I am wrong here). There is the -e switch to set the interface, but that didn't quite work the way I was expecting it to last time   I tried.

I'll try again next weekend, leaving home for work in a few hours :-/