• Tregaron Bayly
    Tregaron Bayly
    2010-01-19

On my mediatomb server my movies are divided into subdirectories like so:
    ./DVD Library/A-B-C
    ./DVD Library/D-E-F
    ./DVD Library/G-H-I
    and so forth

For the times my family wanted to see them all in a single list, I created a subdirectory ./DVD Library/All with symbolic links to all of the movies in it.  All of them show up from the command line, all of them show up in the mediatomb web interface, but on my PS3 I only see *.avi files - none of the *.mp4 files are listed at all.

Any ideas why these don't show up?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-20

Did you create links to movies, or links to directories?

There is a problem that libmagic sets the mime type to the type of the symlink and not the movie that it is pointing to. This is something I have to fix in our code. Adding an extension to mimetype mapping would probably help here, so just try that.

Alternatively, you can just enable the virtual layout - there you get an "All movies" listing.

• Tregaron Bayly
    Tregaron Bayly
    2010-01-20

Thanks for the reply.

I created links to the movies:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.mp4                                  
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.mp4                                          
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.mp4                                    
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.mp4                              
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.mp4                                
    Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.mp4 -> ../G-H-I/Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.mp4

I tried adding an extension to mimetype mapping:
      <mappings>
          <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
            <map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>
            <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>
            <map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
            <map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
            <map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
            <map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
            <map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
            <map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
            <map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
            <map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
            <map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
            <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
            <map from="m3u" to="audio/x-mpegurl"/>
            <map from="pls" to="audio/x-scpls"/>
            <map from="mp4" to="video/mp4"/>
          </extension-mimetype>

but they still don't show up on the PS3.  The avi files still do.

The virtual layout "All movies" listing isn't exactly what I want since I don't actually want "All movies", just all movies in this particular subtree.  There are television programs, home videos, etc that I don't want in this "All" listing.

Thanks for your help and for this great project!

• Anonymous
    2011-09-28

I wish there was a way to refresh the database file instead of deleting and building it again. That's what I had to do after adding the video/mp4 mimetype to the config file to get the mp4 symlinks to work.