Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

no metadata - Unknown

Help
2007-09-14
2013-05-30
  • Jonas Ekström
    Jonas Ekström
    2007-09-14

I'm having problem with the tag information in my mp3 files. For most of them I get Unknown for Album, Artist etc. It does work for a few of my files though.

The strange thing is that the same files used to work but that was with another Debian and mediatomb installation. Current version is 0.10.0-1etch1.

Any ideas how I can debug this? When I look at the Description field of a file in the GUI for the files that work I have seen both the tag data in plain text form and as hex values or something similar.

/jonas

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-09-15

It's probably related to the version of id3lib that you have installed on your system. We use it to get the ID3 tags, so if it fails to retrieve them we won't get the info.

You could also try the id3info utility on the command line, to see if it is able to get the necessary information. If it is, then I'd like to look at one of those files and try to reproduce the problem here.

There is a possibility to recompile MediaTomb with taglib support and see if that would solve the problem.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Jonas Ekström
      Jonas Ekström
      2007-09-16

Thank you for helping out!

I'm not so sure any longer that files that don't work used to do so. I was probably just confused. Anyway I have looked at a few files with id3info and It seams that I have (at least) two different kinds of mp3s. The first kind give the following output (I get metadata for these):

*** Tag information for PrimalScream/Xtrmntr/01-Kill_All_Hippies.mp3
      === TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Kill All Hippies
      === TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Primal Scream
      === TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Xtrmntr
      === TYER (Year): 2000
      === TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 01
      === TCON (Content type): Alternative Rock
      === TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment): Primal Scream
      === COMM (Comments): ()[eng]:
      *** mp3 info
      MPEG1/layer III
      Bitrate: 128KBps
      Frequency: 44KHz

The output for the other kind look like this (the difference is that TPE2 and COMM is missing) and for these I do not get any metadata when importing:

*** Tag information for PaulSimon/ThereGoesRhyminSimon/01-Kodachrome.mp3
      === TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Kodachrome
      === TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Simon, Paul
      === TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): There Goes Rhymin' Simon
      === TYER (Year): 1973
      === TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
      === TCON (Content type): (17)
      *** mp3 info
      MPEG1/layer III
      Bitrate: 128KBps
      Frequency: 44KHz

I'm quite mp3 ignorant. Are these version 2 and version 1 tags?

/jonas

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-09-16

no idea :) maybe those are different fields? I'd have to take a look at it, I am also no expert when it comes to id3 tags; at least now I know what to look for, thanks for the log above.

In the meantime you could try and recompile with taglib support, maybe it handles stuff differently; let's see if I can figure it out for id3lib

Jin

• Jonas Ekström
      Jonas Ekström
      2007-09-17

I can try to compile but since I'm also quite unix ignorant it might take some time, if I succeed at all.

Do you want the mp3 file to test with, to rule out differences in the operating system/environment?

/jonas

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-09-20

hmm yes the mp3 would make it easier for me, I could use it for testing, could you please email it to me?

thanks,
      Jin

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-10-18

Sorry it took so long, my first test returned some interesting findings:

if (tag.Link(item->getLocation().c_str()) == 0)
              return;

This is failing for some reason - so we do not even get to extract the metadata because the initialization of id3lib fails here. I will look at the sources of id3info and see how it is done there. Stay tuned.

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-10-18

Committed revision 1523.

the file you sent me is parsed correctly now :>