Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

a problem starting mediatomb

Help
2006-10-12
2013-05-30
  • Hi, I have read the other posts and cannot find anyone that is having the same problem as I am. when I try to start the mediatomb -d  I get an error message:  mediatomb: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    Im am stuck and am not sure how to proceed, as I am still learning the ropes of ubuntu.

    thanks for you help in advance

    Gordon

     
    • Jin
      Jin
      2006-10-12

      Hi,

      there are various problems with the current release regarding -d mode. I still could not really find an explanation for those problems, but I hope that they will be gone in the upcoming release. At least we no longer had any difficulties with daemon mode after we moved libupnp into our source tree. We are keeping an eye on this, but I think it is safe to say that this issue will be gone in the 0.9.0 release.

      Just wondering, did you compile the package yourself or did you use a precompiled binary?

      Greetings,
      Jin

       
      • it used a precompiled binary copy, used alien to change it from .rpm to .deb

        do you have any ideas for what I could try next?

        thanks

         
        • Jin
          Jin
          2006-10-12

          In this case I assume that your problem is not related to the known bug. (I had some shared lib problems when starting mediatomb -d from an init.d script on Fedora, allthough it was compiled on the same system, that's why I thought you may have something similar.)

          In your case I would suggest to compile MediaTomb yourself.

          Make sure to install all required development headers and libraries, that is - at least
          libupnp (you may also want to try pupnp from pupnp.sourceforge.net) and one of the databases: sqlite3 or mysql.

          All other libraries are highly recommented but not required; take a look at the README file, we have a list of all libraries that we are using and also links to their project pages.

          After that untar our package and simply run ./configure

          In the end it will print out the summary of what it could or could not find. If configure complains about stuff - then you are missing some required development headers, as far as I know ubuntu offers all packages you need so it should be easy to install them.

          Once configure is done you can run make and see if everything builds nicely. Finish the installation by running make install and then running tomb-install (as your mediatomb user).

          Let me know if you have any problems.

          Greetings,
          Jin

           
          • I'm confused. Under what circumstances would mediatomb have a dependency on libssl?

            My experience with the source or building system of mediatomb does not show such a dependency to be possible.

            Maybe it is another library (used by mediatomb) that depends on libssl.

             
        • blafasel42
          blafasel42
          2006-10-12

          Hi, as a workaround you might use something like this:

          mediatomb [options] </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &

          which sort of detaches any program from its starting shell.

          BR
          blafasel

           
    • Jin
      Jin
      2006-10-12

      ...indeed :) or just run MediaTomb inside a screen session...

       
    • Jin
      Jin
      2006-10-12

      Well, I was confused when I saw stuff like that too. I had the problem on Fedora Core (I think 5?).

      When I tried to launch MediaTomb via an init.d script I got unresolved symbols to shared libs which we were definetely not using. So it indeed seemed that some library used by MediaTomb required stuff from somewhere else, and for some reason those symbols could not be found in this init.d script environment.

      In addition to that there was this strange problem which could be fixed by exporting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 however that helped only on FC3 like systems, with FC4 and FC5 this did not seem to work anymore. The problem manifested itself in the way, that libupnp was not able to initialize itself. I never figured out what it was, after we moved libupnp sources into our tree the problem disappeared.