Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

scripting possibilities with mediatomb

Help
Anonymous
2010-11-20
2013-05-30

• Anonymous
    2010-11-20

Hi guys,
    I'm one of many doing the old mkv-<ps3 compatible format> remux.. I'm more restricted that I am trying this on my synology NAS device, which has a fairly low-powered ARM CPU.

To top it off I'm not that expericed with linux… especially scripts/piping/whatever may be required for the optimal solution..

The status so far is that I can perform the following….

mkvextract tracks in.mkv 1:out.h264 2:out.ac3

to provide me with the tracks, then

ffmpeg -i out.h264 -i out.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 finished.mp4

to merge them back together, in an mp4 container.  This worked!

So now I want to a) combine the above, (if possible without intermediate files) and the holy grail would be b) implement the above to happen on-the-fly in mediatomb… it doesn't take more than a few minutes to perform the tasks on my NAS so with any luck I'll be able to stream with no troubles.

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-11-21

Well, when using the transcoding framework the script would start working as soon as you press "Play" on your player. "A few minutes" in this case will be too much, the player will probably time out and report an error.

I remember some talk in our IRC channel where someone came up with a script that does the remuxing live, "on the fly", that might be a solution for you, however you'd have to ask the guys in the channel, I did not really follow this since I do not use MKV.

• Anonymous
    2010-11-21

Thanks for the response, I'll have a look :)