Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

NSLU2: unsupported charset ISO-8859-1

Help
robolaf
2008-09-10
2013-05-30
  • robolaf
    robolaf
    2008-09-10

Hi,
    Mediatomb runs on my NSLU2. If I stream file with letters like äüö they are displayed on the client as ?.
    I changed in config:
    <filesystem-charset>ISO-8859-1</filesystem-charset>
    ...but got ERROR:
    ERROR: Error in config file: unsupported filesystem-charset specified: ISO-8859-1

Did anybidy else solve that on a this piece of hardware?

Thanks,
    Olaf

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-09-10

This functionality is offered by iconv, so that's the place for digging.

Btw, maybe you could try the static binary, it uses the iconv version that I compiled which may have more charsets.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• James
      James
      2008-09-11

I had this problem with my QNAP. Sorted it by using charset UTF-8. Seems to work fine.

• Anonymous
    2011-10-28

I have the same problem. I compiled mediatomb 0.12.1 for a Guruplug server running a minimal Anstrom distribution. Libiconv is implemented in glibc, and is reported as found by the configure script:

[...]
    checking for mkfifo... yes
    checking iconv.h usability... yes
    checking iconv.h presence... yes
    checking for iconv.h... yes
    checking for iconv... yes
    checking if iconv declaration requires const char cast... no
    checking execinfo.h usability... yes
    [...]

When running mediatomb with this charset settings, I get the same error: "ERROR: Error in config file: unsupported filesystem-charset specified: ISO-8859-1"

Removing the charset settings or changing the charset to UTF-8 makes the error vanish, but causes my PS3 to display non english characters as '?'.

Is there a way to see charsets supported by any mediatomb binary? Any suggestions?