Possible to transcode mp3s according to bandwidth?

Help
stevelux
2014-05-29
2014-05-29
  • stevelux
    stevelux
    2014-05-29

Hi All,

New mediatomb user here - and a very impressed one at that. I absolutely love this software; being able to access my entire music collection away from home is simply miraculous. So thanks devs for putting this out!

Question - I've been reading up a little on transcoding, and so far, my understanding is that it's mostly used to make files playable on devices on which they wouldn't normally be (essentially on-the-fly format conversion).

I wonder if it's possible to accomplish another feat: Could a script be written that looks at the connection speed to the server and then transcodes the mp3's bitrate accordingly? For example, when I connect to mediatomb over wifi, mp3s stream just fine - no transcoding needed. However, if I'm connected over 3g, I notice that my 320 kbit mp3s often stutter and pause for long periods of time, It would be very cool if the server could tell I was using a 3g connection and then limited my mp3 bitrates to 128 or 160 kbits so they stream more fluidly.

I'd appreciate any suggestions along these lines - or even better - example scripts if this has already been accomplished previously. Sorry if this topic has already been covered elsewhere. I've done my due dilligence looking for similar questions already answered, but no dice. Thanks for your suggestions!

-Steve