Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

transcode dts on the fly in mkv files

Help
2013-09-18
2013-10-31
  • Soos Gergely
    Soos Gergely
    2013-09-18

Greetings,

I have a Philips smart tv which, like many others, plays mkv files except if it has DTS audio then only the video is displayed.
    I can set up the transcoding script using avconv - it already works the way the documentations says to test it (with a pipe) but I can't get mediatomb to start the actual transcoding. I tried adding like this:

<transcode mimetype="video/x-matroska" using="mtt" />
    <profile name="mtt" enabled="yes" type="external">
    <mimetype>video/x-matroska</mimetype>
    <agent command="/home/bin/mtt" arguments="%in %out" />
    <buffer size="10485760" chunk-size="131072" fill-size="2621440"/>
    <accept-url>no</accept-url>
    </profile>

But mediatomb just serves the original file. So then I thought I make up some random extension and make mediatomb transcode it, like this:

<map from="fls" to="video/transcode"/>
    <treat mimetype="video/transcode" as="lfs"/>
    <transcode mimetype="video/transcode" using="mtt" />

But this also does nothing. In the TV the file appears as some-file.lfs but the TV plays it as an mkv with the unrecognized audio format.

I need help please, because I'm out of ideas. I want to keep the output in mkv format because I don't want to transcode the video and I want to add text subtitles too.

Thank you.

• Soos Gergely
    Soos Gergely
    2013-09-26

I'm answering my own question for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, the answer was all along in the doc, and I should have thought of it. Mediatomb was serving the original file, so this should have been my first try:
    <hide-original-resource>yes</hide-original-resource>

• destroyedlolo
    destroyedlolo
    2013-10-31

Hello,

I did some test in order to encode on the fly AVIs + srt (subtitle) to MKV : but it doesn't work.
    As per some search I did, it seems MKV must be seekable ...