Help
Rubus
2010-01-20
2013-05-30
  • Rubus
    Rubus
    2010-01-20

Hi,

I successfully used MediaTomb in Ubuntu with my PS3 a year ago.
    Then I upgraded my Ubuntu and broke my firewall config.
    I didn't use MediaTomb at all for half a year until I fixed the config now.

I am only using 1000Mbit cables and a 1000Mbit switch.
    Data from Ubuntu can be 1000Mbit data to PS3 can be 100Mbit.

But the performance is really poor. It didn't used to be.
    I try to play a regular XVID MPEG-4.

A couple of seconds delay directly when I start.
    Quite soon after playback starts the screen freeze for some time and then play again.
    Sometimes it can play for 30 sec before it freezes and sometimes it freeze every half a second.

If I check the performance meter I see that the CPU is not working much in Ubuntu.
    The network is sending data while the PS3 is playing and nothing when it freeze.

I have not done any special network settings what I know.
    Everything else work ok. Both PS3 and Ubuntu.

Any ideas?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-20

Well, I can guess what has changed - your PS3 firmware, you surely did upgrade it? :)

Have a look at this thread: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediatomb/forums/forum/440750/topic/3504757, especially message number 3, maybe it's something similar?

We just stream the video via HTTP, for us it does not matter if it is requested by a PS3, by a wget client or by firefox - once we get that HTTP GET request we will serve it the same way, so I suspect that the problem may be somewhere else…

• Rubus
    Rubus
    2010-01-21

Yes I have updated the PS3 firmware.
    I have the latest available in Europe.
    I probably updated everything since last time.

It is a bit interesting and sad to read about that mp4-bug on Sonys part.
    I will try to find a video with mpeg 2 coding and see if that works better.

I saw a mention about "transcoding". Can that be a workaround?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-21

Well, of course use the transcoding feature to convet your mp4 files to MPEG2 on the fly. If the mp4 bug is indeed present (I do not have a PS3 so I can't say anything about it), then transcoding would help. The drawback: with transcoding you lose FF/REW support, and that's not very nice. But probably still better than not being able to play a video without interruptions…

• headrush69
    headrush69
    2010-01-22

Does this happen with all mp4s?
    Are they all encoded by the same source/person?

I have over 1200 mp4s and not a single stuttering issue. My guess would be that its not just mp4 per say but possibly a specific encoder option. We'd really need to see exact encoder options using a tool such as mediaInfo to see if there is something in there that is causing your issues. (eg CABAC or too high of a CRF)

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-23

Another idea: compare your PS3 firmware versions, would be interesting to see if you have the same version or not.

• edriss
    edriss
    2010-01-23

As of right now, the latest PS3 firmware (3.15) does not have a stuttering issue.
    I don't use Mediatomb (as it doesn't run on my QNap 209), but Twonky works perfectly for all supported Mp4 and avi files.

For MP4s, make sure that the video is High profile 4.1.  Main profile stutters for me for some reason.

Also, note that this is for a WIRED connection.  On wireless, yes…  They all stutter…  THAT I believe is a long-standing PS3 issue which they (I don't think) are ever going to change (it's been 2 years now I believe).

• Rubus
    Rubus
    2010-01-23

I have the 3.15 firmware in my PS3.

I found a file with mpgv codec and that one worked good as long as I watched.

Any other file with mp4 seem to be more or less affected.
    (I tried different files on random)

• Rubus
    Rubus
    2010-01-23

One file that I have a lot of problems with is recognized by Mediatomb as "video/x-msvideo".
    Ubuntu file broser say "XVID MPEG-4".
    VLC say "XVID"

I tried to change it in Mediatomb to "video/mpeg" and "video/divx".
    It worked a much better for a start but then it started to stutter again.

I tried downloading an mp4-file from TED.com.
    Codec "H.264 / AVC", "avc1".
    Mediatomb say it is "video/mp4".
    This stutters a lot as well.

• Rubus
    Rubus
    2010-01-23

I am using transcoding to mpeg2 now and it seems to work.

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-24

The mime type isn't that important here, it's mostly good for the UPnP browser to show the item as playable or as unplayable, from our observations of the PS3 the decoder does not use the mimetype of the browser, it will look at the stream itself and just play it if it can.

For us it's anyway all the same, we do not care if we stream MPEG, MP4, AVI or PDF if you like :) It's just a regular HTTP GET…. that's why I always find it funny when people write "MediaTomb supports streaming format xyz", it's always the player that hast to be able to decode it.

• edriss
    edriss
    2010-01-25

Download mediainfo, and view what it says about the file (not the mime-type).
    AVC High@4.1 video, with AAC LC (Low Complexity) will work.

Again, "AVC" and "AAC" are not enough…  AVC that you downloaded from TED can be Main Profile, or High@5.1 etc…