Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo
I'm new to linux so please be gentle! I can't get upnp to install properly, I've tried the tarball and followed the instructions in your Readme file, as well as using alien to convert the rpm to a deb package (i'm using Ubuntu), but neither seem to work. When I try to configure mediatomb it says
checking for upnp/upnp.h... no
configure: error: upnp/upnp.h not found. Check libupnp installation
Any help appreciated.
well.. first thing you could check is:
do you have a /usr/include/upnp/ directory and are the following files in there:
config.h iasnprintf.h ixml.h ThreadPool.h upnp.h FreeList.h ithread.h LinkedList.h TimerThread.h upnptools.h
I assume that they are missing, that is why you are getting this error. Try to find out where the stuff got installed (if at all).
Did the library compile cleanly? Maybe there was a problem there?
Try following the README step by step and examine the output closely, at some point something is going wrong, we need to find out where in order to solve your problem :)
Thanks for your quick reply. You're right, that directory and hence files don't exist. I tried following the instructions again and paying more attention to the messgaes coming up.
chris@chris:~/libupnp-1.2.1$ cd upnp
make: Entering directory `/home/chris/libupnp-1.2.1/ixml'
make: Entering directory `/home/chris/libupnp-1.2.1/ixml/src'
gcc -Wall -I./ -I../inc -I../../pil/inc -fPIC -c -Wall -Os -DNDEBUG -I. -I../inc -Iinc -c element.c -o obj/element.o
In file included from inc/ixmlparser.h:35,
../inc/ixml.h:298: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type
element.c: In function ‘ixmlElement_removeAttributeNode’:
element.c:457: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
element.c:458: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
element.c:459: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
make: *** [obj/element.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/chris/libupnp-1.2.1/ixml/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/home/chris/libupnp-1.2.1/ixml'
make: *** [upnp] Error 2
There seems to be an error in element.c holding up the install. Being new to linux I only have a very basic understanding of what to do when installing programs.
OK, you need the ixml patch (actually I should rename it from ixml_FC4 to gcc344, since that would be the correct description), anyway...
download libupnp_ixm_FC4.patch (it's on our project page along with the libupnp files), get libupnp-1.2.1a.tar.gz from http://upnp.sf.net/
unpack libupnp, cd to the libupnp-1.2.1a directory and do the following:
patch -p0 < /path/to/patchfile/libupnp_ixm_FC4.patch
it should print something like:
patching file ixml/src/element.c
after that try following the steps from the README again, this time it should work :)
Good luck! And please report if you were able to get it going.
Sorry to be a pain, but now I get the following
chris@chris:~/Media server files/libupnp-1.2.1a$ patch -p0 < /home/chris/Media\ server\ files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch
bash: lt: command not found
 Stopped patch -p0
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 1: ---: command not found
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 2: +++: command not found
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 3: @@: command not found
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 4: element-: command not found
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/home/chris/Media server files/libupnp_ixml_FC4.patch: line 5: ` }'
The last lot of errors were after I changed the permissions on the pacth file to add x, initially I still got the bash : lt error, and then it coudln't even access the patch file - permission denied.
I found an answer on the Ubuntu forums, I needed to use > instead of <. The patch has now workde, trying the rest of the install
oops, crap - the < actually I wrote the character "lesser than", apparently it got converted here in the forum post, so use the "lesser than" sign instead of "<"
oh man... look at my post hehe, this conversion really messes up everything :)
well, on FC4 it was < I tested it and simply pasted you the lines from my terminal
anyway, nice that it finally works :)
Thanks for your help - it's worked. I don't have a working mediatomb just yet - something seems to be wrong with mysql, but I'll look at that later.
well, if you want an easy way to play around you can use sqlite3, the functionality will be the same as with mysql, the only difference: sqlite3 slower when adding media; but very easy to set up