Mediatomb on Mac OS X 10.4.10 with PS3

Help
2007-08-12
2013-05-30
  • Iiro Jäppinen
    Iiro Jäppinen
    2007-08-12

Hello, sorry if I shouldn't post this here.

Anyways, I've compiled Mediatomb 1.10 on my intel mac with OS 10.4.10 without Fink using these tools installed in my /usr/local:
    - autoconf-2.61
    - automake-1.10
    - file-4.21
    - libextractor-0.5.18a
    - libtool-1.5.8
    - m4-1.4.9
    - pkg-config-0.22
    - zlib-1.2.3
    - (I don't have any other libraries installed for Mediatomb, like the mp3 metadata-thing)

My Playstation is on Firmware 1.9.0

And it compiled, installed and works well. I'm able to view my JPG/PNG pictures and play MP3s. I haven't tested many videos since I'm moving and my external HD with all my videos is packed away. I did have one video in .mov format (Quicktime, with H.264) but it didn't work. Also,  I haven't been able to get my M4A tracks working. They show up on my Playstation 3 as Uknown without any metadata. On the WebUI I'm able to view the file names, but again, no metadata.

I think this is just a matter of bad MIME types, however I haven't been able to figure out the right ones. These are my current settings:

<mappings>
          <extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
            <map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
            <map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
            <map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
            <map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
            <map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
            <map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
            <map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
            <map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
            <map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
            <map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
            <map from="m3u" to="audio/x-mpegurl"/>
            <map from="pls" to="audio/x-scpls"/>
            <map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>
            <map from="m2v" to="video/mpeg"/>
            <map from="gif" to="image/gif"/>
            <map from="jpg" to="image/jpeg"/>
            <map from="png" to="image/png"/>
            <map from="m4a" to="audio/mp4"/>
            <map from="mp4" to="video/mp4"/>
            <map from="tif" to="image/tiff"/>
            <map from="tiff" to="image/tiff"/>
            <map from="wav" to="audio/x-wav"/>
            <map from="aac" to="audio/x-aac"/>
          </extension-mimetype>
          <mimetype-upnpclass>
            <map from="audio/*" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
            <map from="application/ogg" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
            <map from="video/*" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
            <map from="image/*" to="object.item.imageItem"/>
          </mimetype-upnpclass>
          <mimetype-contenttype>
            <treat mimetype="audio/mpeg" as="mp3"/>
            <treat mimetype="application/ogg" as="ogg"/>
            <treat mimetype="audio/x-flac" as="flac"/>
            <treat mimetype="image/jpeg" as="jpg"/>
            <treat mimetype="audio/x-mpegurl" as="playlist"/>
            <treat mimetype="audio/x-scpls" as="playlist"/>
            <treat mimetype="audio/x-wav" as="wav"/>
            <treat mimetype="audio/x-aac" as="aac"/>
          </mimetype-contenttype>
        </mappings>

I manually added TIFF, MP4, M4A, WAV and AAC in there, they weren't there on default. It doesn't work on those settings, as I already told. Does anyone know the MIME types for them? This is what I get from the console on .M4A and .MOV (h.264) files:

$ file -i myawesomevideo.mov
    myawesomevideo.mov: application/octet-stream

$ file -i myawesomesong.m4a
    myawesomesong.m4a: application/octet-stream

Both show the same MIME type. What is it? I believe it may be a MIME type made by one of my Quicktime plugins, Perian (http://perian.org/).
    I'm currently testing whether the files would play correctly using that setting.

Still any help on getting them working would be appreciated. I'm very unlearned UNIX/Linux user. Mac OS has spoiled me from the beginning with the You-Need-Only-UI attitude.

~Iiro

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-08-12

Hi,

well, first of all - the PS3 supports only a very limited number of codecs, I think someone posted the list here in the forum, from what I remember for video it was MPEG1/MPEG2/MPEG4

regarding the mappings in your config: you only need mappings if you want to override (or if you do not have libmagic, that's the file package), so you do not need to add mappings for everything, only for the types that are not recognized by libmagic - so in your case only for those where file -i returns application/octet-stream

The "treat as" stuff is only necessary if you use a non-standard mimetype (i.e. if your renderer wants something very fancy, but you still want to tell MT what type of content that actually is), we only need to know that for a limited number of formats, because we handle them differently, this is actually a list of constants so defining new content types will not do anything.

unfortunately I do not really know about the metadata of MOV stuff, as you see we had to add custom mappings for WMV/WMA because filemagic did not recognize those formats as well.

I would first find out if your PS3 is actually capable of playing those formats, you could transfer the files to the PS3 and try playing them locally, if that works - well, then it's surely a mimetype question; there a possible solution would be to find (maybe a commercial) server that does serve those formats and look what mimetype it is sending, then use the same settings in MediaTomb.

btw, I do not know what you used, when I was porting to OSX I used macports/darwinports, so it will be easy to get all the other optional packages installed.

Jin