why is iconv now mandatory in 0.9.1?

Help
Shea M.
2007-05-30
2013-05-30
  • Shea M.
    Shea M.
    2007-05-30

Is iconv really mandatory in 0.9.1?  Or is there a  way around it?

~S

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-05-30

iconv is mandatory in all versions - the reason: the UPnP spec enforces the use of UTF-8; we also use UTF-8 internally, so everything that gets imported into the server - id3 tags, names, whatever - everything is converted to UTF-8.

iconv is the library to do just that - it handles a huge number of various charsets and allows converting them to UTF-8, that's why this dependency is mandatory.

I know there are standalone iconv libraries (libiconv) on some systems, would that be an option for you?

Greetings,
      Jin

• Shea M.
      Shea M.
      2007-05-30

Acutally I just realized that iconv is already installed on my system.  But the configure script could not find it.

I am not sure that the configure script is working 100% on my machine.  I have to manually point out that iconv is in /usr (pretty standard I think).

Also, even though I have had to manually add -lz, -lid3 to get though many of the compile tests. I would think that these things would be automatically include if they are needed.  Sometimes LDFLAGS seems to be ignored, so I am having to add linker flags to my CFLAGS, and CXX flags.

I have never had to do either of those things before.
      ~S

• Jin
      Jin
      2007-05-30

Hmm... that's on Solaris, right? I will take a look at it this weekend. Configure has always been a pain, it was extremly difficult to get it right for all systems; nevertheless I am sure that we can figure this out.

• Shea M.
      Shea M.
      2007-05-31

I am around for most of the weekend.  You have my email if you need a hand with Solaris type issues. Google is the only IM I currently have installed, I could actually turn it on this weekend if you use it.

~S

• Shea M.
      Shea M.
      2007-06-01

Just confirming, that iconv is infact part of libc on solaris.
      ~S