I have Mediatomb running on a PogoPlug and it runs fine when I ssh and start a session. But:
1. Every time I reboot, it "forgets" the database status and I have to re-scan my drive and all the media back in. I don't think mediatomb.db is saving anything? Any ideas to keep the database structure intact in-between reboots.
2. The daemon mode does not work. It says started but I cannot connect to MT when it is running in daemon mode. Is it <plug ip address>:50500, or like a read elsewhere 127.0.0.1:50500?
3. In Archlinux, running in console mode is nice. But if I end ssh session, it also kills MT. Even if I close my terminal, I loose MT. Any script etc to run in daemon mode and keep MT alive, without leaving my computer on all the time.
I have Googled and searched till I am blue in the face !!!! Any help is appreciated…..
I am not familiar with your distro and I have no idea how things are configured there; obviously you can tune the config.xml file to provide various settings and some of your question can be answered only by you: check what is configured there.
1. check where it stores the database, if it ends up on some ramdisk it will be removed upon restart, so configure the database location to be in persistent storage (for example somewhere, where your media is residing).
2. the port depends on how you configured it, the URL will be printed upon server startup to console (and or logfile), if no port was configured it will be chosen automatically (check docs for defaults). I suggest to configure a fixed port, like 50500 or whatever, you would then access the UI by going to http://ip-of-your-device:50500/
3. start the server in daemon mode via an init script, not from the console, you can take the optware init script as an example (found with our source tarball distribution). If you can't figure that out, another way would be to start the server from a screen session (you'd need to install the "screen" application first, see linux man pages for more details)
Thanks so much for your reply !
I have an optware setup on another Plug also so some of the questions do cross-apply. I am not a very unix-y guy, so please if you can provide optware tips also would be great.
1. I am pretty sure that my MT .db is located on the USB drive. If I need to which file needs to be edited to point to a new location?
2. Ok this got fixed.
My optware version runs a lot better, but a couple of questions on the optware setup if I may:
A. Is there anyway to bind MT to a particular media drive using say UUID? I mean, when I reboot the USB devices can get interchanged and then all is hell. Can MT be made to remember the USB media drive via the UUID. I think UUID should be strict enough for it to fall back to the required drive, irrespective of its mount point.
I know I can fix this in optware USB mounting, but a solution in MT would seem easier and more foolproof???
B. I know this is not your "department", but can you help please: How do I "keepalive" an ssh session in optware? I think the sshd is on the Plug memory itself, since optware does not by default install a ssh program. I know Openssh is available, but how do I tell the Plug to us eOpenssh on the external USB than its "in-built" ssh?
I appreciate tremendously any help you can offer.