creating and populating containers

• Jonathan Ives
    Jonathan Ives

Hi, I have MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.11.0  running on a mybook world . Works surprisingly well into a Samsung TV.

My question is simple, but I'd like to create a new container within the database for a category of content  , for example home movies. It's not easy to see how to move movies from the general "Videos" container into a different container. For example if you wanted to organise your video's by genre. Is there an easy guide to creating and populating containers in mediatomb. I don't appear to be able to easily do this from the webUI without filling in 6 fields for each movie.

• Jin

The problem with movie files is, that they usually do not have any metadata. We do support metadata extraction with the help of ffmpeg, I do not know if your version is compiled with ffmpeg support or not.

You could however do one thing; come up with some playlist format (text file carrying the list of movies with paths and also metadata, maybe something like pls format) and adapt the playlist parser (see scripting documentation).

Another way would be to parse the paths/names and generate the structure base don that.

You can not do that from the web UI, you will have to use the scripting feature (see docs).