problem with install

Help
2011-06-03
2013-05-30
  • andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-03

I successfully installed mediatomb and it worked fine on my ubuntu 10.04 linux. The first problem occurred with duplicates on my windows media player. I read many forums which none helped so decided to apt-get remove mediatomb and then reinstall. On the reinstall everything loaded ok but failed to start the daemons. I read that i should edit the config.xml which is not in /etc/mediatomb directory. I looked for /etc/default for mediatomb and not there either. I'm kicking myself for trying to reinstall as i can't get anything to work now

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-03

this is from the /var/log/media.log file

2011-06-03 12:59:02    INFO: Loading configuration from: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    2011-06-03 12:59:02   ERROR: read_text_file: could not open /etc/mediatomb/config.xml : No such file or directory
    2011-06-03 13:05:10    INFO: Loading configuration from: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    2011-06-03 13:05:10   ERROR: read_text_file: could not open /etc/mediatomb/config.xml : No such file or directory
    2011-06-03 14:48:35    INFO: Loading configuration from: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    2011-06-03 14:48:35   ERROR: read_text_file: could not open /etc/mediatomb/config.xml : No such file or directory
    ~

• BT
    BT
    2011-06-04

Try running 'sudo apt-get -purge remove mediatomb'. When complete, re-install MediaTomb.

If that doesn't work you might need to manually remove every trace of MediaTomb before re-installing.

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-04

Thanks amak. Your suggestion worked and I reinstalled mediatomb. Alas the problem of dupicate entries still occurs in windows media player to the tune of 8 entries per track. I edited /etc/mediatomb/config.xml before going to the web interface
    <pc-directory upnp-hide="yes"/>
    </server>
    so not sure what else to do

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-04

I tried another option in the config.xml from "builtin" to "disabled"

<virtual-layout type="disabled">
            <import-script>/usr/share/mediatomb/js/import.js</import-script>

Also
    removed the line
    <pc-directory upnp-hide="yes"/>

This solved the duplication problem.

The other problem is that all tracks are merged into 1 album called "Unknown Album"
    It would be nice if each album that is listed on the web interface  could be listed separately

Thanks for any suggestions

• BT
    BT
    2011-06-05

It looks like WMP doesn't like MediaTomb's virtual layout, so your only option is to disable it and use the "PC Directory" container. This container essentially mirrors the filesystem layout of your media, so you won't get any album or artist grouping.

I'm not sure where the "Unknown Album" container came from, but it might be left over from your initial scan when the virtual layout was enabled. You might want to remove all entries from the MediaTomb database and import again.

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-05

Thanks for the info. I've looked online for info on mediatomb.db which is supposed to be in /var/mediatomb/mediatomb.db

I'm afraid my install doesn't have a mediatomb.db file anywhere. I've deleted the files in the web interface filesystem but this didn't change anything. Could you please advise the correct procedure for deleting the Mediatomb database.

Thanks

• BT
    BT
    2011-06-05

If you're using the SQLite backend and MediaTomb is started during boot, the database should be '/var/lib/mediatomb/mediatomb.db'. However if you start MediaTomb manually in a terminal as your user, then the database is '~/.mediatomb/mediatomb.db'.

To delete the database via the web interface, you need to be in the 'Database' view. Click on the 'PC Directory' container. For each container under 'PC Directory' click the 'X' icon located to the top right. Once all entries have been removed, import your files again.

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-05

Thanks. I found the mediatomb.db file. I did what you suggested via web interface but when I go to WMP all the tracks are individually (no duplicates) laid out under a file "Unknown" instead of grouped by Album

What is the procedure to delete the mediatomb.db file

• BT
    BT
    2011-06-05

I mistakenly thought that the "Uknown" container was showing up on MediaTomb's web interface. In your previous post you mentioned that it's actually showing up in WMP. If that's the case then I don't know how to fix it. I'm not sure how recent versions of WMP are but in the past it was known to have problems with MediaTomb.

• andrew murray
    andrew murray
    2011-06-05

Thanks Amak. It seems we've exhausted all our options for WMP. Could you recommend the best program to run on windows that is best suited to work with Mediatomb

• BT
    BT
    2011-06-05

I know that XBMC works with MediaTomb. It is a complete media center application so if you're looking for something simple it might not be the best choice. If you're interested in music only, then foobar2000 with the UPnP plugin should also work. I don't know of any others since I don't use Windows.

You might be better off setting up Samba and sharing out your media files. Then you just map the share as a network drive. WMP would then have no problems accessing your files.