Transcode to android

Help
2011-01-19
2013-05-30
  • Alastair Drong
    Alastair Drong
    2011-01-19

I've been working to make or find a transcode configuration that will play nice with Android. This is what I'm starting with

<profile name="vlcMP4" enabled="yes" type="external">
            <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
            <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
            <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
            <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
            <agent command="vlc" arguments=" -I dummy %in --sout #transcode{venc=x264{no-cabac,level=12,vbv-maxrate=384,vbv-bufsize=1000,keyint=75,ref=3,bframes=0},vcodec=h264,vb=384,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=%out} vlc:quit"/>
            <buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>
          </profile>

- I grep on the box when I try to play the video with the "PlugPlayer" app on my phone and I see the transcode job running (in fact, PlugPlayer gets impacient and kicks off the job 7 or 8 times before giving up)
    - AndroMote also waits for media but fetches nothing.
    - UPnPlay simply states that it doesn't support whatever mime type I happen to put into the <mimetype> xml element.

I enable UPnP discovery in VLC, and it is clearly playing back the transcoded video.

My transcoding settings are well under the maximum that Android can handle. My best guess is that this is somehow a problem with the video container. Anyone have any input?

• I've been tinkering for the past few hours and have this almost working for my set of h.264/MKV files.

<profile name="vlcmpeg" enabled="yes" type="external">
            <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
            <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
            <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
            <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
        <agent command="vlc" arguments="-I dummy %in --sout #transcode{vcodec=mp
    4v,fps=24,vb=1024,height=480,acodec=mp3,ab=128,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:stan
    dard{access=file,mux=ts,dst=%out} vlc:quit"/>
            <buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>
          </profile>

• Richard Morton
    Richard Morton
    2011-04-11

Hi,

I am new to mediatomb and havent got my head around the config files yet.
    I use mythtv and have recordings in mpeg2 ts and h264 ts. I also have dvd rips in avi and mkv (h264) plus some content in flv.

It would be fantastic if I could get this to stream to my phone… and then if I can find an application that will pull files down by rule overnight so my phone is nice and fresh with media ;-)

Did you get anything working with Android? Could you supply your complete set of changes to the config file so I can take a look. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 with mediatomb .12.1

I notice from the forum that transcoding profiles by device was on the cards a few years ago; has the devs managed to get this working, not that it matters too much as I can just run up the files directly on my laptop and mediatomb should do the job with my phones… I was just wondering..
    thanks in advance.
    R