Device specific transcode

HelmutS
2013-02-10
2013-05-30
  • HelmutS
    HelmutS
    2013-02-10

Helloy guys,

I'm new to mediatomb, but I learned a lot during the last week about mediatomb. One thing I'm missing is the device/app specific transcoding.

Maybe as an example. If there is a flac file in my repository, there is not always a need fpr transcoding. Transcoding is only needed for some devices/app strings.

I thought about the following: If a client/device request a flac file, the transcoding command is schedule. Now I saw we have %IN and %OUT as filenames. What I need there is the HTTP Header of the requesting device ore the IP adresse of the requesting device.
    If we get this information, it is possible to transcode, or if we see it is not necessary to transcode, then we can deliver with out transcoding.

Now my few questions: Is there a way to get information out of the system which system (like http header) request the file and what I have deliver it there is no need for transcoding.

Thanks for sharing ideas.
    Helmut

• Jin
    Jin
    2013-02-10

Sorry, but at the moment device specific responses are not supported. We kind of plan it as a feature, but I have no idea when we will have time to do some real work on it. So what you need is simply not implemented right now.

Kind regards,
    Jin

• HelmutS
    HelmutS
    2013-02-11

Thanks for fast reply.
    To make it is easy and maybe as a first workaround. Is it possible to hand over the IP Address to the transcode argument?
    If it's there, then the transcoding script can decide to transcode or not.

Thanks
    Helmut

• Jin
    Jin
    2013-02-11

It's open source, everything is possible :) It's just not implemented yet.

Currently, only the things that you can read about in the documentation, are supported.

Kind regards,
    Jin