Menu

DLNA support ?

Rahul
2007-08-10
2013-05-30
  • Rahul

Rahul - 2007-08-10

Hi,

I wanted to ask the project developers and others as to how much interest exists for adding DLNA support for MediaTomb ?

Thanks
    Rahul

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-10

Hi,

the interest is there, but the DLNA spec is not free - that's the main problem with DLNA.

We figured out the meanings of some tags and added them to support the PlayStation 3, but that is of course not a full DLNA implementation.

Why exactly are you interested in DLNA? Most renderers work fine with stock UPnP, the only situation where we really needed it was with the PS3 - and only because Sony enforced DLNA use instead of simply trying to accept plain UPnP as well.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Tim Bird

Tim Bird - 2007-08-10

I'm pretty sure that Rahul asks because in the CE Linux Forum (CELF) we are trying to do things to assist and promote DLNA-related open source projects.  CELF has a liaison agreement with DLNA, and we are obtaining some specifications which we can give to open source developers for free.  Would you be interested in one?

If so, let use know an address we can ship it to (It's a hardcopy).  We've got a very limited number, so we've only got one copy per project (sorry).  To give us your address, please send it to either me or Rahul.  Sorry I'm not on-list, if sending it to me, please send it to: tim dot bird (at) am dot sony dot com.

Regards,
      -- Tim

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-11

That would be cool, thanks! Tim, just sent you a mail.
      Thanks!
      Jin

• tensuns

tensuns - 2007-08-11

Yes, that would be very cool!  A few of us over at dbstalk have been looking into using MediaTomb with DirecTV's HR20 HD-DVR as we have been running into limitations/issues with other solutions.  Browsing through the media tree works great, but images won't display and I suspect the problem lies with DLNA support (the device identifies itself as a DLNA 1.0 device). 

Also, we have been watching with baited breath your progress on transcoding as the HR20 only accepts music in LPCM format.  Once transcoding is complete is LPCM support something you might add?

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-11

Uhm, why didn't you simply ask us regarding the images on HR20? When UPnP/DLNA capable firmware came out for the PS3 it took us only a couple of days to find the problem and offer a solution. Of course a lot of credit goes to the users - we had tremendous support in testing and debugging, so it's always up to you guys. We do not have the hardware, if you want your renderer to be supported - simply contact us and help testing/debugging.

As for LPCM - the solution that we are currently working on allows to plug in any type of transcoder so you can transcode anything to anything provided that your application can output the transcoding stream to a fifo. It is already working in SVN (allthough you have to know how to confiugre it, that is not yet documented) and we already have success stories with flac/ogg to wav transcoding.

If you want to try it or if you would like to debug the images issue - drop by in IRC (but be patient if I do not answer right away, I'll be around in about 11 hours from now) or contact us via email.

Kind regards,
        Jin

• Rahul

Rahul - 2007-08-23

Jin,

Can you send a address and phone number for shipping the DLNA specs.
      (The phone number is typicaly  needed for international shipments.)

Pl send it to me, or to Tim Bird.

Regards
      Rahul

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-23

OK, sent it again, to your SF email address and to Tim.

Thanks!

• Jin

Jin - 2007-08-23

Rahul,

It seems that the mail to your SF address was bouned by sourceforge, so only Tim will receive it.

If you also want the info, please write to jin@mediatomb.cc and I can reply to you.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Patrik Stensson

Patrik Stensson - 2008-11-29

Maybe it's an all Sony's strategi, to block people from using open source systems with their gizmos... (i.e. PS3's and alike). I've got a nice networked Bravia TV I'd like to feed from mediatomb. It is said to be DLNA compatible and not a word about UPnP...

It finds the mediatomb server on the network alright, but it states that the server is not supported. I've tried with Windows Media Player on a borrowed laptop and that worked without fuzz. Wouldn't it be great if mediatomb could do this as well?

So, I would think it would be great if mediatomb could be enhanced with a little dlna support. If it could be of any help, there is a sourceforge project called libdlna that maybe have something usable.

Keep up the good work!

/ste

• Jin

Jin - 2008-11-29

Well, actually it's quite frustrating because DLNA sits on top of UPnP, so those "DLNA capable" devices should also be able to talk to UPnP implementations.

I do plan to add DLNA support at some point and we partially added some XML strings for the PS3. However I can not say when exactly we will be looking at this, from my point of view only very few user groups would benefit from it (probably only customers of Sony DLNA devices). Sure, probably that's a number of people, but not enough if you compare it to the tons of other UPnP capable devices out there.

We usually try to add support for new devices, however it is often not easy to find out what a particular device expects. If it's an easy hack - no problem, but right now we prefer to work on new features instead of spending time on DLNA.

An implementation of a new UPnP/DLNA library is next on our roadmap, once this gets integrated into MediaTomb I will see that we add full DLNA support.

Until then... if you manage to figure out what your device wants, tell me and I will add some code :) Otherwise I can not do much - I do not have this unit for testing and right now I do not have much time to solve yet another Sony riddle. Sorry...

Kind regards,
      Jin