Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

observations/questions

Whitecloud
2008-10-24
2013-05-30
  • Whitecloud
    Whitecloud
    2008-10-24

I have tried .11 and via svn, .12

So I'm amazed at how few media files served up by mediatomb are recognized by the PS3.

It handles image files fine. But audio and video it pretty much fails at.

I thought maybe I had MT mis-configured but far as I can tell the setup's fine.

As an example I took a directory of mpg and avi files and ran a perl one-liner
    like so:

perl -e 'print "<html><body>\n";for(`bash -c "ls -1 *.\{mpg,avi\}"`){ chomp;print "<a href=\&quot;$_\&quot;>$_</a><br>\n"; };print "</body></html>\n"' >index.html

Then I installed apache and had it use the index.html and when I point my PS3 to the apache server I select an mpg or avi and it plays just fine.

It seems to me that the PS3 determines what the video is and plays it if it can.
    All the videos play fine this way.

So mediatomb tells the PS3 what format the video is and the PS3 just says "oh, I can't play that"?  If mediatomb let the PS3 figure out the video type would it play?

What am I missing here?

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-10-24

Did you enable the PS3 specific settings in the configuration?

You will find a huge number of posts on what these settings are and on how to do this. Also look at the device list and at the main documentation.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Whitecloud
      Whitecloud
      2008-10-25

Oh, yeah.  Enabled all the PS3 settings.

On to the next DLNA, UPnP server.  It's amazing how many there are and how many broken ones there are.  Is the DLNA specification poorly defined or just plain bad?

Out of curiosity does anyone know why files play just fine on PS3 from a thumbdrive or by just having a link to them on a webpage but will not play from mediatomb?

• rinc0
        rinc0
        2008-10-26

The majority of video files I have play fine on the PS3 from mediatomb.  I only seem to have issue with encodings from a year or more ago.  These also fail to work through the other upnp media server I use, twonky. 

Most of my encodings (according to VLC) are XVID (sometimes DX50), 23.976 or 24 or 25 fps, mpga audio 44100 or 48000khz.  Resolutions vary: 640x350, 672x272, 664x280, etc.  And I only have playback issues with encodings that are a year or more older.

With the latest firmware and more recent encodings I have  no issues at all.  I wouldn't claim to know why your media files can play fine from a USB thumbdrive but fail via UPNP... but I suspect the problem to be with the media files, and you won't have the problem when using more recent encoding software.

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-10-26

> Out of curiosity does anyone know why files play just
      > fine on PS3 from a thumbdrive or by just having a
      > link to them on a webpage but will not play from
      > mediatomb?

I think that you did something wrong when setting up MT for the PS3, what you describe is clearly more than just the usual firmware issues.